Best way to hang curtain on a steel door?

Old 07-07-07, 07:34 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best way to hang curtain on a steel door?

The thing is that the curtain rod brackets require two holes each, but the door is for the main entrance, hence its steel and difficult to drill into. What are alternative ways to hang a curtain on the door's glass area? Are there special hooks I could maybe buy?

Old 07-08-07, 06:01 AM
M
Received 6 Upvotes on 4 Posts
My daughter had the same problem in her apartment. She wanted a curtain to cover her (split patio) steel door. It had vertical blinds but she didn't want to keep them closed all the time and wanted something to cover the door that she often used.

We purchased magnetic rods and they worked great!

Old 07-08-07, 06:19 AM
S
Magnetic curtain rods seem a bit expensive...any other cheaper alternatives?

Old 07-08-07, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Try Ebay. They don't seem any more expensive than any other rod. Unless you have the room in the glass area to use a tension rod, which I doubt, there really isn't any other alternative other than tinting the window or using a stained glass kit perhaps?

Old 07-12-07, 02:02 PM
B
BLD
that door probably isn't as tough as you think..

if it were solid steel it would weigh 1000 pounds..

12 years as in installer and I have never NOT been able to drill through a door with self drilling screws.. a.k.a. sheet metal screws and more commonly called self tappers..

you need

a drill
$borrow one

a 1/4 hex nut driver for your drill
$2.99

4 #6 3/4'' self tapping/piercing/drilling sheet metal screws with a hex head $1.00

maybe a ladder for better leverage
$use a chair

Old 08-19-07, 12:38 PM
S
It wasn't the toughness of the door I was concerned, it was more about damaging the door. Hate to have to drill holes in a brand new door, just doesn't feel right.

Old 08-20-07, 12:49 PM
B
BLD
so what did ya end up settling on?

Old 02-03-08, 10:39 AM
S
I used magnetic rod, but it keeps falling down if somone shuts the door hard. Sometimes someone pulls on the curtain, and then the whole things falls.

Still looking for alternatives...

Old 02-03-08, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
The only other two things I can think of is
1. Hang a swing arm rod on the wall above the door (if there's room both above and next to), then you can swing the curtain out of the way.
2. If privacy is the issue, you can buy the faux stick-on stained glass or frosted glass look.
Other than that, I don't think there's any other options, aside from drilling into the door.

Old 04-08-08, 10:30 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Oh, for the love of tek screws

That's an easy way to install a blind onto a glass / aluminum door. Tek screws, or self tapping screws, go through the aluminum like butter. Be sure not to fasten to the glass stops, but rather, the aluminum channel of the door frame itself. You can also use blinds, that allow themselves to be secured at the bottom of the door, as well. This will keep the blinds from bouncing about during door operation.

I hope this helps, it someone beat me to it, it's a handy way to get it done, I only read lower posts.

Old 04-08-08, 10:37 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Holes can be limited, and repairable.

I do see your point. If you can make the product look like a finished installation, there may not be later need to remove. The tek screws, I mentioned, can come in small sizes. An Industrial Supply outlet should have some small, plastic, snap in plugs, that could fill unwanted holes later. Of course, it will help appearance if the original holes are in sync w/ each other. You can also fill holes w/ rivets. Tek screws are available with 1/4 - 20 thread, and can serve as a disposable tap. I'm still waiting for my hardware guy to find me reverse thread tek screws, as the ultimate disposable easy out.

Old 04-09-08, 02:37 AM
K
Originally Posted by sk545
I used magnetic rod, but it keeps falling down if somone shuts the door hard. Sometimes someone pulls on the curtain, and then the whole things falls.

Still looking for alternatives...
Use stronger magnets?

I hang a wreath with a sheet metal clip that fits over the door top. It's very thin, painted to blend with the door.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: