how to install 4 layers of curtain

Old 07-28-07, 11:58 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how to install 4 layers of curtain

Hi there,
On my recent overseas trip I ordered some drapes. The price was great. the drapes/curtains look fabulous. the problem is to hang them now!
I was given brackets that supposedly can seat 4 rods and was told the rods are standard and I could get them anywhere. I was also given the hooks which are different (safer) than the metal hooks for the pinched (?) curtains but the same idea. The curtains are made with a ribbon kind of thing that makes it possible to hang the hooks into them but no triple pinching of the fabric. Anyway, for 2 of my 4 windows I ordered up to 4 layers. First layer is a flat privacy layer. Second layer is the sheer. The third layer is the panel that is meant to be decorative and not really open and close and for 2 of the 4 windows I got a 4th layer which is a valence.

Now comes the fun part of hanging these. I want the layer 1 and 2 to be traversing and I want the layer 3 to have a nice rod unless layer 4 (the valence) is covering it. I went to Expo and may have to special order different hw from different mfg, all non-refundable and very expensive (my estimate is $500 per window). The widest windows are about 156". Any idea where I can get standard rods and maybe make it work myself so at least 3 rods sit on a single bracket and two of them traversing? Expo lady though something called Euro scope by K scope may work but I can't find anything on it and the problem is that it has to be custom cut to size.

thanks
Nobody's perfect

Last edited by perfectionista; 07-29-07 at 12:03 AM. Reason: more detail
Old 07-29-07, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Hi there. First about the brackets you were given, without seeing them, I'm not sure what rods fit them but doubt that all you want will work with it and about the hooks you were given, again without seeing them I'm not sure what they are. I believe they use a different hook system overseas than here, so not sure they'll work for you or they may be the type that's used for pleater tape. I have never known the regular drapery pins to be unsafe, so I'm not sure what they mean by the other hooks being safer. I'm also not sure what the ribbon thing is on the backs, unless it is actually pleater tape. It's not something that's used here, or at least I've never heard of it, sorry.
The Euroscope by K scope system is something used in the UK, you won't find it in the US. Perhaps it's similar to the Ripplefold system we use here, but I doubt what you have will work on this. I think some of the problems you're facing is because all the things you have are european and not american.
As for making them work, first you need to have at least 2" clearance between each layer. I'm not familar with this flat privacy layer either, but I don't see how it can work on a traverse rod. Draperies on traverse rods need to have some sort of pleats in order for them to stackback when pulling them open. Without the right hardware, I don't think this is going to work. The liners that are sold here actually are hung behind draperies, usually on the same pins, then are treated as part of the draperies. I'm not sure if this is what you have or not. If it is the same thing, then it may work on a traverse rod, but will not look nice, since these are meant to be blackout linings and not seen from the front. Have you considered buying blinds or shades for the privacy undertreatment? Another plus for blinds or shades is that you could do an inside mount and then have one less layer to deal with.
They do sell double traverse rods and even a double traverse rod with a valance rod but none of these will work with the bracket you have and it wouldn't work with what you want to do.
Sorry, but there's no simple answer for your situation and I agree with the Expo people that you would need different hardware for each layer.
What I suggest is finding out the correct hardware you need for the flat privacy liner or use a shade or blind.
Then hang a regular double rod for the sheers and panels and hang the sheers on rings so you can manually slide them open and close and hang the panels on rings or right on the rod (don't know what heading they have). If you're hanging the valance, they don't need to be decorative since the valance will hide that or buy decorative rods if you're not hanging the valance. Then buy a separate rod for the valance and again without knowing what the valance looks like or what heading it has, it can be decorative or not.
If the valance and panels have a rodpocket heading that slides on a rod, you could instead hang the sheers on a pole type rod with the rings, then get a basic double rod for the panels and valance.
Again, make sure there is at least 2" between each layer.
Check out JC Penney's: http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/default.aspx
and Curtainrods.com: http://www.curtainrods.com/
for different possibilities.
Hopefully this will get you started in the right direction.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: