Ceiling mount traverse/track for heavy drapes

Old 10-04-07, 04:09 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling mount traverse/track for heavy drapes

Can someone direct me to a drapery traverse or track system that can be mounted to the ceiling? I have a very wide (9 foot) sliding glass door in the den which we use as a movie room. I'd like to hang blackout drapes and be able to totally open them in one direction so that the return allows the entire door/window to show. Correct me if I'm wrong, but standard traverse rods that are that long must be mounted with a center post that would stop the drape from returning the full length. It would also be somewhat dicey to return that much heavy drape to one side (visions of the rod bending/pulling out of the ceiling).
So far the only thing I've found is from Walmart, and 1: It's got a limited number of hooks (so I wouldn't be able to hang the drapes with the fullness that I'd like), and 2: I may need to insert extra screws to the ceiling to be certain it's sturdy enough to hold drapes that heavy.
Thanks

Old 10-04-07, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
Traverse rods can center draw or one way draw. Maybe check Home Depot or Lowes since either would be better than Walmart, I would think. You can also order a ceiling trac (or a one way draw traverse rod) from JC Penney's . I don't know of any other stores that you can buy a trac system from since they usually need to be special ordered. You may want to use toggle bolts rather than screws for extra support.

Old 10-05-07, 04:04 AM
M
I checked out Ikea and it looks like they have something that will work. It has track you cut/add to fit, and they sell the clips separately so you can add as many as you need.
I'll have to check it out in the store, but this looks like it may work...

Also, I found sites that sell the kind of track they use in hospital rooms for privacy curtains. They don't look nearly as nice, but with some metallic paint(?) I think it may be possible to make them look presentable.

What's your take?

Old 10-05-07, 05:37 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
If you purchase Kirsch or Graber top of the line traverse rods and mount them securely you should have no problem. Adding an extra support a foot from each end will help support the extra weight when fully opened. Try to locate ceiling beams and if you don't, use toggle bolts.

Old 10-05-07, 04:04 PM
M
I haven't found 120" traverse rods anywhere. They go up to 96" or so...

Old 10-05-07, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
If you go to JC Penney, they have traverse rods that go up to 150".

Basic Traverse Rod One way draw

Decorative Traverse Rod here

I have heard that Ikea's trac system is somewhat junky.

Old 10-05-07, 06:01 PM
B
BLD
If it were my home, I would use an architectural track.. this is simply a metal track that accept "carriers".. carriers are the little plastic things that you put your drapery pin through and moves freely in a track..

These tracks do not use a string like a traverse but simply stack with the help of a wand, like a hotels curtain or like you said, in a hospital.. these tracks can be painted as long as you dont get paint in the actual channel your carriers slide in.

Old 10-06-07, 05:24 AM
M
where do you find those???

Old 10-06-07, 05:50 AM
I'm sure that where you purchased the blackout drapes should be able to tell you about tracks for hanging them. I still think that a good traverse rod, properly installed will work.

Old 10-06-07, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator
It's something that needs to custom ordered. You can't just get it at any store, which is why I didn't mention it. You can get it any place or thru anyone that sells/makes custom draperies and hardware.

Old 10-07-07, 10:03 AM
A
The "architectural track" sounds like what they use all over Europe. It is recessed into the ceiling and has those carriers that you hook the curtain to. They work great for completely darkening a room.

Gook luck in your search. Let me know what you find, cause I'm interesting in finding them, too.

Old 10-07-07, 10:40 AM
Old 10-07-07, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Aggiette, I've already answered that. Aside from Ikea, which is the only store I know of that sells it direct, this system needs to be ordered to spec, which is why stores don't normally sell them.

Old 10-07-07, 01:56 PM
B
BLD
any kirsch dealer will sell you this track online

any drapery dealer will sell this to you locally

any hotel renovation will have thousands of feet of this track out in the dumpster

any traverse rod rod you can buy at ace, lowes, home depot will also work just fine.. And may be your best bet instead of waiting a week + for the architectural track..

Old 10-08-07, 07:05 PM
M
Thanks to everyone for so much input.

I really don't want a traditional traverse rod--they're hard and unwieldy to pull open--remember this is a door to the deck--not just a window. I ordered a track from Walmart, presupposing I would be returning it. It turned out to be Levelor brand. I haven't opened the box yet, but it certainly feels heavy and looks sturdy enough.

I did contact one commercial place I found on line. They were kind enough to answer my query with information about where I could buy residential tracks...

Rowley Company
P.O. Box 6010
Gastonia, NC 28056
1 800 343 4542

Or the following reliable local CA supplier:

D K Drapery Hardware Co
1737 S. Santee St
Los Angeles CA 90015
213-747-3030

I just opened the link for the drapery hardware that someone was kind enough to include here. I will check that out too.

thanks again.

Old 10-08-07, 07:33 PM
I can tell you that Levelor & Kirsch are the same company and Rowley sells component parts to the trade only.

Old 10-11-07, 06:24 PM
B
BLD
R-Equal is what most of the commercial companies are using these days..

R-Equal, LLC.
1591 Bartlett Road
Memphis, TN 38104
Phone: 901-379-0267
Toll Free: 1-800-333-0607
Toll Free Fax: 1-800-822-5209
E-Mail: info@requal.net

http://www.requal.net/track1.htm

give em a call. If they cant sell to you directly, I'm sure they can tell you who can.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: