Extra wide drape/curtain rods

Old 03-09-08, 01:11 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Extra wide drape/curtain rods

Hi,

I am replacing some curtains and rod that cover a very large window. The window measures 160" wide by 102" tall.

Want to do something simple, like get two paneels for mPottery Barn. They come in 100" widths and 108" long, so i guess some puddling.

But my dilemma is the rod. The decorative rods they sell only extend to 120". There are the normal generic rods, like we had when we were kids, the white ones w/ the draw on left/ride side, e.g., http://www.mtdrapes.com/curtain%20rods.htm

These rods are economical, but how does a line or silk panel from pottery barn attach to the old-school drapery rod?

any suggestion would be appreciated.

Old 03-09-08, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Hi! I'm not sure what the Pottery Barn panels are, so it would depend on the heading. You'd need pleated panels, i.e. pinch pleats, to be able to hang them from a traverse rod.
A couple of things you can do, besides get a custom rod made that size, is to buy 8ft. wood rods from a big box store and connect them with double ended screws, screw in finials and buy the matching rings or shir them on if they're rodpockets. Some people buy copper tubing or pvc pipe and paint it, then do the same as the wood.
Another thing you could do is if you're not planning on ever closing them, they sell short rods that you mount just at the end of the windows instead of straight across.
Yet another thing is some brands sell extension pieces to make the rod longer, like this one from JCPenney:
Extension Rod

Old 03-10-08, 07:14 PM
B
BLD
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you see a decorative rod you like that functions like that old fashioned 'traverse rod', you may be able to butt two 1 way rods side by side.. You will have to operate each drape individually with a cord for each left and right rod..

If the rod you like isn't a functioning traverse rod but a decorative wood or metal rod that uses rings or tab tops, then this side by side plan will not work.. It wont work because that would call for additional brackets that would stop your drape from opening and closing..

also, you can definitely get a classic white traverse rod that exceeds 120" from Kirsh.. Ive gotten one before just to discover there was no way to get it to the 53rd floor, and the customer had to settle on two 1 ways I mounted side by side

You might have to order this direct from a design shop since a fed ex delivery of a 12' anything is a pain in the but and pricey..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: