How can I make plain sheers look like valances?

Old 06-26-08, 06:48 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can I make plain sheers look like valances?

All I could get with my new comforter set was sheer panels. No scarfs at all, so I bought the panels. I want to make them look like the scarf valances, cascades (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) and have not been able to do this.
I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that's run into this issue. Any help would be SOOOOOOOOOOOOO appreciated.

Last edited by Tazgranny; 06-26-08 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-26-08, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 321 Likes on 255 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Are you wanting to sew this into a valance or are you talking about just being able to dress it to make it look like scarfs you see in pics? If you just want to make it look like a scarf, you really just need to play with it till it looks right, they're not easy to hang at all, especially a sheer which is slippery. Is it long enough to go around? You may have to take out the heading and just sew a plain hem, so both ends look the same. Decide how much you want to swag down on top, and pin it or something at each end where it will go over whatever you're hanging it from, then just kind of pleat it up on an angle (angled outward), then either sew it or tie a rubber band or long cable tie around it to get it to stay, then hang it up and play with it till it looks OK. Hope this is clear, and let me know if you need more help and with what.

Old 06-26-08, 08:43 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi. I'm not much of a seamstress, so I want to avoid sewing if at all possible. I'm trying to drape them over just a plain cafe rod. I had them hanging on the rod and was trying to loop them around from there. I'll try some more. Thanks.

Old 06-26-08, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 321 Likes on 255 Posts
Click on the link below, and scroll down to "Folding and Hanging the Scarf" and see if that helps you any.

Hanging a Scarf Valance

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: