Problems Hanging Curtain Hardware

Old 10-29-08, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problems Hanging Curtain Hardware

I'm trying to hang curtains in one room of my apartment that has an unpenetrable layer only 3/4 of an inch into the surface of the wall. The original screws were more than an inch long and wouldn't go all the way into the wall. I tried shorter screws but now there's not enough length on those screws to support and hold up the curtain hardware and curtains.

How do I hang the hardware with a limited depth of wall? I have tall ceilings, so the curtains are 96" which probably makes them slightly heavy.

Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-08, 06:24 PM
BLD
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
take a sharp screw and scratch at whatever your hittin.. use your best judgment if its concrete or steel..

if your in a wall your probably hitting concrete or cinder block, especially if you are in an apartment..

if its concrete use a 'hammer drill' and tapcon screws to predrill the concrete and set a screw into the concrete.. you could do the same with a plastic plug and normal screw..

if its steel you will need to predrill it with a good bit and set the proper sized screw

let me know about your home.. apt, house,city suburbs, exterior, etc so i could give you my best guess what your hitting..

pictures speak a thousand words too