height of cornice over window?

Old 01-24-09, 09:51 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
height of cornice over window?

I am using cornices on 2 living room windows on either side of a fireplace. I am trying to give the illusion of height to this wall by using cornice boards + side panels. The walls are white; window frame is medium-toned wood; there is 12" of wall space above the window to the ceiling line. Should my cornices be wide (maybe 16" deep) and cover the entire space from the ceiling line down to cover the entire top of the window frame OR should they be less deep (maybe 10") and be situated right at the ceiling line, making the white wall space + window frame apparent when the panels are open? Mucho thanks!

Old 01-24-09, 12:39 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Post some pictures at www.photobucket.com or other. This will give readers a better idea of your situation and allow for greater insight and feedback.

The trend today to create an illusion of greater height is to hang window treatments at or near ceiling with panels to the floor. Mounting cornice at ceiling would provide an illusion of greater height along with panels that reach the floor.

Keep in mind, too that the fireplace is the focal point and that window treatments should not compete. The idea is that the focal point should pop.

Here is a link that shows some different cornice styles with specifications on recommended length, depth, and height.
Padded Cornices

How to measure for draperies and cornices:
How to Measure for Draperies | www.levolor.com

Old 01-24-09, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
It's really preference. It's fine to mount it right under the ceiling (I'd start a couple inches down, rather than right at the ceiling line). As far as the length, you should not see any wall or the window frame under the cornice, so it needs to come down far enough to cover this. A little tip, the cornice should come down from the bottom of the frame/molding as much as the projection is, in order to hide this. IOW, the projection (how much extends away from the wall) which will probably be 6", since they're going over panels, so measure from where you mount it and add 6" from the bottom of the molding or frame.
Proportion comes into play too, but about 16" sounds good if your walls are 8ft.
You can always make a mock cornice out of kraft paper, tape it up there, then step back and see how it looks. Make adjustments based on that.

Old 01-24-09, 02:59 PM
M
photo + more info about cornice issue

Here's an earlier photo of my fireplace area. My firplace is very dinky, so I wouldn't quite call it the focal point of the room. The cornices shown are gone...I'm working on another pair that will match the panels I've made.

Pictures by mvp-ks - Photobucket

As you can tell from the photo, the vaulted ceiling slopes down to 7' 10" at the ceiling line above the windows. Between that line and the top of the window frame, there's only 12" of wall space. I would [U]like[U] to mount the cornice at the ceiling line, but for there to be enough wall space between the bottom of the cornice and the top of the window frame, it seems like the cornice would have to be very narrow - maybe only 5-6" tall. And would that look silly?

Or would it be better to go w/ a deeper cornice that would be mounted a few inches down from the ceiling and then have it cover up all the wood at the top of the window frame.

MANY thanks from a new DIY person! I really appreciate your input!

Old 01-24-09, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
for there to be enough wall space between the bottom of the cornice and the top of the window frame, it seems like the cornice would have to be very narrow - maybe only 5-6" tall.
I'm not following what you're saying.

Did you read my previous reply?

It doesn't look like there's enough room to hang panels next to your windows, unless you're just hanging one at each side, but still doesn't look like enough wall space there. You may end up covering too much glass and darkening your room.

Old 01-24-09, 04:42 PM
T
So, I dug out a House Beautiful Window Workshop (2004) book. It had been a long time since I looked in it. I had long forgotten that 'pelmets' were cornice boxes, also known as 'fixed valances.' Of course, they can be an architectural element, but they were designed to hide the mechanics of window treatment.

The reference lists 5 details that count:

1. Proportion--keep the depth of the pelmet to no more than 1/5 of the length of the curtains. In general, pelmets look better on taller rather than wider windows.

2. Contrast trim--will add emphasize to the pelmet. It can be a restrained braid or piping, or it can be flamboyant with fringes, tassels, or beads.

3. Shape--bottom of pelmet can provide character. Neat curves for the more restrained. Generous curves to look voluptuous. Dogtooth or other edge for sense of fun.

4. Fabric--pelmet fabric can contrast with drapery fabric. A contrast will call attention to the pelmet and works best on tall windows with slim pelmets.

5. Drapes--pelmets look best over full drapes with simple heading like pencil pleats. Don't scrimp on fabric. Double the width of the window.

IMO, the pelmets/cornices would look best mounted at ceiling. But, if you are going to use ready made drapes, then you need to think in terms of length and rod and cornice placement.

I would go with cornice the same color as the draperies to keep the busyness to a minimum. If you go with a too narrow cornice, it will seem like, "Why bother?"

Your picture was too small and too dark to get a real perspective of your space and decor. The current cornices were there, though.

Old 01-25-09, 11:04 AM
M
I really do appreciate all of this help!!!

My comment: "...for there to be enough wall space between the bottom of the cornice and the top of the window frame, it seems like the cornice would have to be very narrow - maybe only 5-6" tall."

pertains to the amount of space from the ceiling line to the top of the window...but I know I'm not explaining myself very well...so here goes again...

My impression has been the to create the illusion of height, a cornice needs to be mounted at the ceiling line with some/considerable space between the bottom of the cornice and the top of the window frame, i.e., the cornice should draw one's eye up away from the window.

Since I only have 12" of space between the top of the window and the ceiling line, I'm wondering if I should have my cornice be only 5 or 6" tall X the width of the window (so there would be about 6" of wall space between the bottom of the cornice and the window frame) OR should I make the cornice run from the ceiling line all the way down past the top of the window frame (so the viewer would only see glass below it)?

Or, I guess there's a third option - making the cornice a medium height (maybe 12") and then mounting it a few inches below the ceiling line so it, too, would cover up all the top of the window and there would be a bit of wall space [U]above[U] the cornice.

I'm just so frustrated with how ugly this wall looks - and it's the first thing people see when they walk into my house. Thanks so much for your patience and all of the good advice. I love the info from the Window Workshop!

Thanks again for everything! - m

Old 01-25-09, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
I think I answered your question in my first reply. Have you read it or do you not understand something?

Old 01-25-09, 11:43 AM
T
The cornice's original intent was to hide the window hardware. If mounted at the ceiling and tall enough to come down just below the hardware to hide it, then you would not have a 6-7" cornice.

The illusion of height comes from the fact that the cornice is ceiling mounted and the panels flow from beneath the cornice. It gives the illusion that the panels are covering a window much taller than that is actually there. Whether using a cornice or not, hanging panels at ceiling or somewhere between the ceiling and the top of the window still gives the illusion of greater height, even if panels are open and shorter window is exposed. This is because the eye travels beyond the top of the window to a greater height. Thus, the illusion of greater height.

Old 01-25-09, 12:03 PM
M
OK...I think I've got it. Thank you so much for your patience!

Onward and upward to beautiful windwows.

Again, THANK YOU ALL!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: