Curtains keep falling off hooks

Old 02-23-09, 11:13 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Curtains keep falling off hooks

I have mounted the curtain rods just a few inches below the 9 foot ceilings to emphasize the height of the rooms. Having spent ~$1000 on silk curtains and hardware I am now frustrated because they keep coming off the curtain hooks when I pull them open and shut. I am using the sort of "S" shaped hooks that pierce the fabric. It seems that the rod joints create a bump that is the problem. I've tried using electrical tape to ease the transition from the narrower part to the larger part of the rod, but I still end up reinserting the hooks all the time after they come off the curtains. ACK! Anybody know how to fix this?

Old 02-24-09, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! I'm not sure what hooks you're using. Do they look something like this?:

(courtesy of BedBathStore)
If not, they may be the wrong type or they're not inserted correctly.
Are the curtains pleated (i.e. pinch pleats) or flat? They need to be pleated to use the drpaery pins.
If you're opening and closing regularly, maybe consider buying a traverse rod instead.
You can also use a drapery wand, which attaches to a ring, then can be pulled more easily and raised at the "bump".
Not sure where you can buy them retail, but if you do a google search for "drapery wand" you may find some online sources.

Old 02-24-09, 04:59 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Shadeladie! Yes I am using hooks like one you pictured with flat curtains. I am opening and closing them frequently too. I'll try finding some drapery wands to see if that works first and then go to traverse rods if needed. I appreciate the reply!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: