Pole width (pic attached)

Old 03-08-09, 07:01 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pole width (pic attached)

Good morning,

I have a question on pole widths. My LR window is 96 in wide from frame to frame and 84 in from the top frame to the floor. To create the appearance of a wider window, I plan to hang the drapes so that the inside panel meets just at the frame, leaving most of the window exposed.

I ordered 4 panels (84x54) from JCPenney that I want to hang on rings. I think this'll be attractive and also allow me to pull the drapes closed when needed. My question is how far outside the frame should I extend the pole, taking into account two 54w panels on either side?

The window is 8ft wide, I figured a 10 ft pole adding a foot more on either side? Does this sound reasonable? I've attached a pic of my window for a visual.

Also, the 84L drapes will meet the top of the frame, so how high will the pole need to be hung above the frame? I want to go with a thicker wood pole if possible. I have 7in's from the frame to the ceiling.

I'm really looking for some help here so I don't go through alot of trial & error in this project (and running back & forth to Penney's)! If I have missed some details, please say.

Thanks a bunch!

Eroz

(sorry the pic is so large, I couldn't crop it in photobucket)

Old 03-08-09, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
10 ft. sounds about right. You want the panels to cover the trim, not stop next to it.
As for where to hang the rod, you pretty much have to hold the rod up there with the rings on and the bracket, and even attach the panels to the rings if necessary, since they're already made. If they're the sew on rings, the top of the panel will touch the bottom of the ring, so you could have someone hold the rod on the wall, and measure up 84 to 84 1/2" to the bottom of the ring (they shouldn't be more than 1/4 to 1/2" off the floor, or can touch the floor). If they're clip on rings, then you will have to attach the panels to see where the rod will go.
Hope this helps. If you need more help, just ask!

Old 03-09-09, 04:42 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Shadeladie. I'll let you know how well it goes when the drapes come in and when I buy the hardware. I appreciate your input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: