Long travel for drapes

Old 05-26-09, 01:28 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Long travel for drapes

I plan on making drapes that are 12 feet (including return) wide that will cover a doorwall. I want the rod to be decorative and visible. The problem is that I plan on making them one panel, pulled from one side, as opposed to drawn open from the center. This precludes me from using a simple rod with a center support. I have to either use a 12 foot rod supported only at the ends, which will be prone to sagging, or I need to find a decorative rod with traverse-type slides that can be supported in the center. I'm having trouble finding the latter. Can anyone give me ideas or options? I'm also not sure how to finish the top... pleated, or just a simple panel that is clipped to the rings/slides? I've already bought the fabric. It is a medium weight linen and it will be lined.

Old 05-26-09, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
The decorative traverse rods are usually made to order, which is why they're harder to find retail. If you have a Calico Corners or Decorating Den near you, you can probably get them there. I think Home Depot sells special order rods.
Curtainrods.com sells Kirsch rods online. There may be other online sources.

Traversing a large panel that wide, will work better with some sort of pleats. Pinch pleats will stackback best, but other pleats will work too. No pleat will create a sloppy mess everytime you open or close them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: