Bay Window and drape problem

Old 09-21-09, 12:25 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bay Window and drape problem

I have a bow window, pictures are attached. I have curtains that use hooks from the back, and want to install the drapes and a separate valance on in the bow windows. The valance is a one piece, the drapes are only 2 pieces, one piece would actually cover the left window, and half of the middle window. the other piece the right window, and half of the middle window. Have bought several hardware piece but still confused as to the simplest way to do this. I think the biggest problem becomes the valancehardware install.

Old 09-21-09, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! There's no pics attached. You can't actually attach pictures, you need to upload them to a photo site, then copy the url here via the image button, or just copy and paste the link to your photos.
Not sure if you have a bay or a bow window, since you mention both. A bay is straight with angles and a bow curves around.
What sort of hardware did you buy?

Old 09-22-09, 04:56 AM
H
Attached Pics

I guess it is a bay window here are the pics. We have bought a bendable I beam type rod, that can take some type of rollers for the acceptance of the hooks. Also a Kirsch bay window rod. which. not sure how that would work even if we get the double for the valance, as in 2 coners you have the supports to attach the left and right side, but the drape, would be pushed down, because of the support bracket, in those 2 places. However with the valance guess it would be hidden by that...not sure though.

For the single windows we have bought traverse rods, and some kits you install on the outside of each traverse rod to install an additional stationary rod for the valance.

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/u...3/DSC00056.jpg
http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/u...3/DSC00057.jpg

Old 09-22-09, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Yes, it's a bay. If you're planning on opening and closing the panels, you can get a traverse rod for a bay, too.
The I beam type track brackets shouldn't interfere with the panels, I don't think.
You could hang them from rings on a regular bay rod without them being squashed, but you won't be able to open and close them.
As for the valance, as long as the rod projects out 2" more from the first rod, you shouldn't have problems. What kind of heading is on the valance? What is your concern with the valance rod?

Old 09-22-09, 12:27 PM
H
Well, the curtains only have 2 panels, so the first panel covers the small left window, then half of the middle, then the opposite for the other side. So first if I did want to use a traverse are you saying you would install 3 individual traverse for each window if I wanted them to open, probably wouldn't work with only 2 panels. So do you mean bay window rods?

My major concern is how I double things do you use the bay window rod which is on the same height meaning for the curtain as well as the valance, or do you install to single bay window rods, one a little higher from the other for the valance.

Also do you have any vendor parts numbers so I can see what you mean?

Old 09-22-09, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
Sorry, I was talking about a traverse rod made for a bay, but it would have to be special/custom ordered.

Perhaps it would be easiest to just mount a double rod. What I mean by 2" projection is, most rods come with brackets with a 3 1/2" projection (meaning from the wall outward, measures 3 1/2"). To hang a valance over a rod with panels, you now will need an extra 2" to clear the panels, or the valance will rub against them, so now you need brackets that extend out 5 1/2".
Whether they're hung higher or even with the first rod, depends on the style of valance, which is why I asked what kind of heading it has.
I don't know of any vender numbers, but have you checked out Kirsch's website? It may help you some.
Kirsch - Homepage

Old 10-21-09, 09:34 PM
B
BLD
These bays with multiple layers and valance can sometimes be made a whole lot easier when you use full boards on L brackets resting above the window.

Staple your valance to the board, mount your rods to the boards. The basic cheap 3/8'' rod will accept the glides/carriers (thats what the channel is for) and you can use the ceiling mount pressure snap in clips to fasten them to the boards. Sheet metal screws can be used as stoppers on each end and to keep carriers stationary.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: