Installing Window Curtains

Old 10-05-09, 10:44 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing Window Curtains

Hi,

I'm a brand new noob, to both this forum and DIY around the house. So please bear with me. I'm trying to do a pretty simple thing here, installing some curtains. I get stuck trying to install the curtain rod holder. Every place where I try to screw the holder in place using a #6 Drywall 1-1/4in fine threaded screw, the screw goes in about 3/4 of the way, and then it hits something hard, and it just stops. I've tried using my power tools to screw it in, on maximum power, and it just spins and goes no where. My stud finder says there's a stud right where I'm drilling. But I can't seem to get through. For all my troubles, al I've got is 4 unsightly holes on the wall.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Xin Li

Old 10-06-09, 06:41 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You might have had some bad luck & hit a nail in the stud. It happens. I would be using anchors for that job. They are small plastic things that get inserted after you drill a hole. Then a matching size screw goes through the bracket & into the anchor. Home Depot or your local hardware store have what you need.

Old 10-06-09, 07:49 AM
X
Thanks for the reply. Am I really so unlucky that all four holes managed to hit nails? Assuming that's the case, what is an anchor exactly and how does it manage to stay in the wall securely? Because the nails after drilling 3/4 of the way through is pretty loose and I can pull it free with very little force. Thanks again.

Xin

Old 10-06-09, 11:34 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
SUPER PLASTIC ANCHOR

That's ^^ what an anchor looks like. It expands when the screw is inserted. Those are what you needed in the first place. Drywall was never meant to hold any weight just by putting a nail or screw in it.

As a side note, the only time I try to find a stud is if I'm hanging a flat screen TV or something really heavy.

Old 10-06-09, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Just a note..depending on the type of construction and where you are trying to attach, you could be hitting steel studs or lintels.

Also..I know this will sound crazy (but I had a wife who did it), make sure the power drill or screwdriver is turning the right way....lol.

Old 10-06-09, 12:45 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Just another note, it doesn't sound like your holes are deep enough for the anchors pulpo is suggesting and it would be really against the odds to hit a nail 4 out of 4 attempts, so steel studs, metal protective plate, concrete board, or brick wall are all possibilities.

Your next step should be to investigate what you are hitting. Try describing your house, wall thickness, outside finish, age, what room you are working in and perhaps some pictures.
http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html
Let us know.
Bud

Old 10-06-09, 09:08 PM
X
The place I moved into is a new condo I just purchased. The "window" in question is actually a sliding glass door that opens out onto the balcony. I'm hesitant to just get some big screw and just forcefuly drill myself in there, lets I hit a wire or something else I'm not supposed to. How can I be more sure what I am hitting?

Xin Li

Moderator's note: Please watch your language here. This is a family oriented forum!

Last edited by Shadeladie; 10-07-09 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Language
Old 10-07-09, 08:01 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I really don't think you need a federal investigation on what's in there. I still think the anchors will work. How much do you think the curtains weigh?

Edit: I just thought of something. Since it's an outside wall, you may be hitting mortar. Is the outside wall brick on the terrace side?

Old 10-15-09, 07:02 AM
B
BLD
If your are in a condo it s most likely you are hitting concrete or cinder block. A sharp metal tool or awl would be useful if you poke it in the hole and scratch the surface.. A concrete product should be obvious buy its grity and scratching feeling.

You have 3/4'' of lumber screwed to concrete and your drywall lays on the lumber, leaving you 3/4'' of space before you com to a dead end.

If its concrete it will need to be drilled with a hammer drill and tapcon screws are your best option.

If it is cinder block, a tapcon screw does not always work because the cinder block has a tendency to crumble. a toggle bolt is sometimes an option if you are able to screw through a hollow part of the cinder block but this calls fro drilling a wide hole in the drywall which isnt always concealed by your bracket. A molly sometimes works but is often too long.. This is best dealt with by using a molly tool to spread/shorten the molly a little as you insert it in to the wall..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: