installing new hardware

Old 04-01-11, 07:24 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
installing new hardware

how do i measure for & install new curtain rod brackets? my husband always did this for me but he passed away 1 yr ago this past monday~God bless him. i have always done alot of diy around the house except for this & and i never watched him!! i bought 84" sheer panels and i just don't know how to measure to put backets up. thank you for any help. tisch

Old 04-02-11, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! You don't say what kind of curtains or how they hang from the rod, but since you've already bought them, the only way to know where to hang them is to put them on the rod and hold them up so you can make sure the length is right. They can either touch the floor or be 1/4 to 1/2" off the floor.
It would help to know what kind of rod you're using and whether they're going to be hung from rings or shirred on a rod.

Old 04-02-11, 01:28 PM
T
thank you so much~sorry for the missing info! i'm just installing standard cafe rods and sheers will be shirred (in kitchen) i will put 1 or 2 on rod and hold up & mark where i'm holding. again thank you, i'll wait a little while (before attaching brackets) to see if you have any other ideas. i could only find 84" at store & i really love the sheers~they are so different. thank you.

Old 04-02-11, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
OK, guess the easiest way is to hold the rod up with one curtain and make a little mark at the bottom of the rod, then take off the curtain and attach the bracket to the rod, then hold the rod with the bracket back up and make sure the bottom of the rod is right on top of the mark, then make a mark inside the bracket holes. Use a leveler so it's straight. Would be easier if you have someone that can help. Hard to look and check it and hold it up at the same time by yourself.
If you're going to be opening them, make sure you extend the rod out far enough so the curtains can clear the glass. If you're going to tie them back, then you can extend it out or not, but make sure to put the brackets far enough out so the sides of the window doesn't show.

Old 04-02-11, 02:20 PM
T
thank you again~i'm going to try your way. i didn't want to call anybody to help but i can see what you're saying about needing someone. i guess i just wanted to see if i could do this. i can always patch & touch up if i need to. i'll let you know how it turns out! thanks shadeladie! tisch

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: