DIY'ing a curtain pole bracket

Old 10-04-12, 04:59 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question DIY'ing a curtain pole bracket

Firstly, I am not sure if this is the correct section. So apologies if I got it wrong.

Could use some help and advice.

We just moved into a house and its drafty, very much so. We are working on some stuff to resolve this but one of the things we have done it to get some curtains, to block the drafts from the worst doors, but as I was about to put them up I realised that there is too much of a gap between the doorway and the curtain and that they would block some but not all of the draft.

So this got me thinking and I have a solution but I could use some help.

btw, its a bog standard wooden pole

I want to cut in half the part I am supposed to attach to the wall, by doing this I should close the gap between the door and the curtain and reduce the draft. However, they are connected by attaching a plate to the wall (this plate has a bolt coming out of it) and then screwing the wooden holder into that.
My problem is that, once I cut this holder in half, I lose the bit that I am supposed to screw onto the attachment that is now on the wall. I was looking for a replacement for that but issue is that 1 I cant find any and 2 I dont even know what the thing is called so I have to describe it every time.
The one I am talking about uses a system where into the wooden pole holder they have screwed in a large wooden screw that is hollow with bolt threading in this hollow section.

So I am hoping someone know the name of this thing I am looking for and also where I can get it.
Also, I am looking for another plate (with the bolt sticking out) that I screw into the wall and that I later fit the wooden pole bracket to.
Anyone know where I can find these?

Please see attached pic for an illustration. Might be easier than my description

Attached Images  
Old 10-04-12, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!
There's a much easier way to close the gap rather than cutting the bracket.
Just tell me what kind of curtains you're hanging (specifically the heading at the tops).

Old 10-04-12, 10:26 AM
E
I dont really understand the question. Are you asking me the type of heading style between the curtain and the pole? There are 3 curtains and one is grommet top and 2 others are just rings hooked in

Old 10-04-12, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Sorry, yes, that's what I was asking.
When we make custom curtains, we make a "return" at the outer ends that bring the end of the panel from the rod to the wall, to cover the gap.
The ones on the rings, you can leave 4" from the last ring, and get either what's called a "tenter hook" and small rings, or you can get a package of small hooks and rings (usually sold wherever drapery hardware is sold). Just pound the small hook into the wall with a hammer, then the small ring would be sewn to the top of the end of the panel, and you just hang the ring onto the hook.
The Grommet panels may be a problem if there is not enough fabric left after the last grommet, otherwise it would work the same.

If making this return isn't going to work for you, look for a "dowel screw", which is double ended. Screw this into the wall, then you can connect the bracket to it (pre-drill first).

I don't think you can get what you're looking for by itself.

Old 10-04-12, 02:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
While Shadeladie helps you with your decoration, let me insert some money saving tips. Before hanging these curtains, remove all your window and door trim molding. You will find insulation lacking in the voids between the framing and the window. Apply minimally expanding foam in all these cracks and reinstall your trim molding......and your curtains Thanks Becky, for letting me butt in.

Old 10-05-12, 04:07 AM
E
Guys, I should have pointed this out before but its rented accommodation I am doing all I can and nothing more. I wish I could do a lot more but its not my house

What I am asking about is 1, only 1, of the many things I have already done and more to follow. Trust me when I say that already there has been a huge improvement

Old 10-05-12, 04:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yep, good information at the beginning is.....well, good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: