Puckered seams on drapes

Old 06-20-14, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Puckered seams on drapes

I had draperies made, and the seamstress said they would hang straight after a while due to the weight of the fabric. (It is a 60-40 cotton-poly blend, Duralee 32171.)

But after a month they are not hanging straight, and I now see that every seam is puckered, almost shirred.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  22.8 KB

I plan to ask for a re-do or a refund, but first I wanted to check with DIY-ers.

1. Is this some sort of design aesthetic that I was unaware of? To me it just looks incompetent and unprofessional.

2. Is this repairable? If so, what exactly should I have the seamstress do?

I will be grateful for any input.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-14, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 51 Votes on 39 Posts
Well, I'm not a DIY'er, I'm a professional curtainmaker
It looks like an unprofessional, bad sewing job. Without looking at it up close, I'm not sure if it was sewed with too small stitches, overly tight tension, or whether they just pressed the seam and the fabric shrunk.
Either way, it will not hang straight after a while. Surprised they told you this and even gave it to you like this.
If it's the sewing, then it just needs to be ripped out and resewn correctly, but if it shrank, it would need to have some of that cut off, then resewn. That however, would make it a smaller width and not sure how much you can spare. Looking at the pics, I think a restitching should help. If that doesn't help, then they should be made over. It would be up to you whether to have them do it again, or return them and get your money back and find someone else.
Was this a professional workroom or someone that sews on the cheap? I ask because it doesn't look very professional.

Old 06-20-14, 02:13 PM
Puckered seams on drapes

Many thanks for your input, Shadeladie.

The job was done by a professional provider, basically a one-woman band, who works for various designers here. According to The Franklin Report, a local guide to home services, she's supposed to be excellent . . . Not, however, on this occasion!

Old 06-22-14, 01:23 PM
Valance is also problematic

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  17.0 KB

Seamstress has agreed to come back next week. Will be very grateful for advice on what to tell her about correcting this valance as well. I think it's awful!

Many thanks.

Old 06-22-14, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 51 Votes on 39 Posts
Without seeing them up close, I can't tell if it's because of the fabric, the lining used or the sewing technique or even just the lack of interlining. Probably the easiest fix, without redoing, is for them to drop in some interfacing, like Skirtex or Peltex. A heavier weight that can be creased. They could also drop in some Roman Shade Ribs or similar.
I have to say tho, that you shouldn't be the one that has to tell them how to fix it.

Let us know how things turn out.