Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Repurpose a traverse rod for vertical blinds with drapery hooks?

IL

08-11-17, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Repurpose a traverse rod for vertical blinds with drapery hooks?

We currently have vertical blinds on a traverse rod on sliding glass doors. I'd like to replace the verticals with draperies, but save the expense of a new traverse rod. The verticals look to be attached by a plastic piece which connects by snapping in to a piece with a round hole which is attached to the rod. I wonder if & where I could find a piece to attach hooks to replace the part which the verticals clip onto - has anyone done this? These are old - probably >15 years - I don't know the manufacturer. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

08-12-17, 06:15 AM   #2 (permalink)  
I'm wondering if the weight will make a difference. Drapes can be heavy. Is there a 'window dressing' place near you?

Group Moderator

NC

08-12-17, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Honestly, vertical blinds are not the most expensive and are rather outdated. I would not expend effort trying to save the top bar/mechanism but if you are creative you can do it.

As far as I know nobody makes conversions or hardware to attached drapes to vertical blind carriers so you'll have to come up with a solution. Some vertical blinds have a plastic clip that when closed forms a rectangular loop where you could insert a small drapery hook. If your's is like a tab hanging down with a little post protruding from the side then maybe you could sew a plastic tab into your drapes and drill a small hole in the tab to slip over the piece on your blind's track. You might have to hand sew a few turns to keep it in place on the tab.

Search this Thread