HELP!! I'm trying to make euro-pleat drapes.

Old 09-20-19, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HELP!! I'm trying to make euro-pleat drapes.

I have been using the directions for making the euro-pleat drapes and have hit a road block. I'm at step 5-adding rings and it's not making sense to me. There are no visual guides and the instructions don't seem to follow what I was envisioning. If someone could help me out I'd appreciate it because I can't find any other sources of Information on making these drapes.
Diane Caruso

Name:  drapes.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  71.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-20-19 at 12:49 PM. Reason: added pic from link/removed email address
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-19, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You don't want your email exposed on a busy site like this. You will get spammed.
I imported your picture and set your thread to instant email reply.

The pros will be by to help you out.

Old 09-20-19, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
I can help you but I don't know which directions you used and what step 5 is. Are you just wanting to know how to add the rings? Other than that, the curtains are finished?

Old 09-20-19, 08:36 PM
These are the directions I'm using:. https://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-create-europleated-draperies

I used the measurements as stated. Here is what I did: finished length 101" + 14" for header + 10" for hem = 125" cut length. I've followed the directions through step 4. As of right now, I have a length of 107". The header (7") and length seem to be too long. I pictured the rings being at the top of the drapes, not at the bottom of a 7" header. Are my measurements off? Any guidance or reference to a video tutorial would be appreciated.
​​​​​​Thanks

Old 09-21-19, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Hmm, parts of those directions leave much to be desired. Some of it is okay and some of it is a bit off. There's really not much online that's very helpful AFAIK in doing a search.
I'll try to help as much as I can. I'm not sure where that 14" heading is coming from. I use a double 4" heading and a double 4" hem, altho a 5" double hem is fine too. I also turn double 1 1/2" side hems. I line and interline, but you don't have to interline. I do hand stitch all the hems. I don't use the pillowcase method of sewing the two together and then turning it right side out. The lining should actually have a bottom hem that is one inch shorter, so if you're doing a 5" hem, the lining would have a 4" hem, not a 2" hem.
I do the bottom hem first, then the side hems, then the heading last. If you're doing the pillowcase method as given in the article, then follow that.
I don't know where the rings being sewn on at this point comes in. That's totally incorrect. They don't get put on until the curtains are all finished, so forget that part!
You'll also want to use 5 pleats on each panel and make the pleats about 6" each, with 4" spaces, and a 4" return at the end.
You can use two or three finger folds. Unless you're trying to save on fabric, I would use three finger folds. On Euro pleats, I like to sew down about 2 - 3 inches for each pleat, not the full 4", so the pleats fan out more.
Then you want to sew the pleat together at the top, near the front. I hold them together with a clothespin or you could use one of those office clips.
Your curtains should be finished at this point, and that's when drapery pins are put in. I did find this little tutorial video on adding drapery pins and the correct placement. I was going to take a pic of some euro pleats with the pins, that are hanging in my house, but this tutorial will help you better. Then you just hang those pins right into the little hole on the rings!
This video is for adding pins to pinch pleats, but it's the same principle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AbcIjQ_ZPA

If you need something explained better or need more help with something, let me know!

Old 09-21-19, 12:53 PM
Thank you so much for your reply. I need to digest everything and try to implement it. I'll let you know if I have any more questions and let you know how things turn out.

Old 09-23-19, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
I'm thinking, if you're going to sew it using the pillowcase method, just leave an extra 9" for the top (extra to allow for turning of the fabric because you lose 1/4" every time you turn fabric over). Just sew the sides together as in the article, after doing the bottom hem. If you can't or don't want to hand stitch, I would use an iron on hemming tape, rather than topstitch the bottom hem.
Then measure up from the bottom and fold the top over the lining, a double 4", whatever length you need. Whatever excess is left after double folding can be cut a way. Then just pin it. You don't need to sew across because you'll be sewing in the pleats, so that will hold the top hem in place.
Then after the pleats are sewn in, make the folds, clip it, and just use a needle and thread to sew that pleat together at the top, near the front. It doesn't have to be perfect since no one will see it.
I hope this helps a little better!