Traverse Rod binding

Old 02-23-19, 09:57 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Traverse Rod binding

Just installed new Bali (Springs Window Fashions) adjustable 1-way traverse rod over a sliding patio door. Excellent online reviews, everybody says these are heavy-duty, work smoothly, etc.

The rod will fit spans from 84-156 inches approx; we need a 130 inch span so there is about 2 feet of "overlap" where the smaller, adjustable end of the rod sits inside the larger, fixed end. That's where the trouble lies. The carrier moves smoothly at either end of the span, but when it hits that middle "overlap" section it binds up like crazy -- can't move it by pulling on the cord, have to push/pull it past that area by hand.

We've checked that the cords are not twisted, and the new knot (tied when cord length was adjusted for the 130 inch span) isn't hitting anything along the way. We've verified that the rod is mounted straight and level. It's definitely the overlap area causing the problem -- when we pull the adjustable end out farther and change the length of the overlap, the binding issue changes accordingly.

I've emailed the company and messaged them on Facebook but wondering if anybody here has suggestions.

Old 02-24-19, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If it's the rod that I'm thinking of....... I'd hardly call it heavy duty.
With out a link to the exact type you're using..... it would be hard to help you.

Old 02-25-19, 07:05 AM
S
Here is a link to the rod in question. We have two more to install but waiting until this issue is resolved before we continue.

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/bali-heav...plType=regular

Old 02-26-19, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
It's hard to say what's wrong. Could be it was strung wrong or something's not right with the carriers. Don't know what curtains you're hanging and the weight. They may be too heavy. Sometimes spraying the rod with silicon spray makes it glide easier.
Could be there's something defective with the rod itself. Maybe try putting one of the other ones up to see if that works or not. If it does, then you know there's something wrong with the rod. Then again, the rod's not very expensive and sometimes you get what you pay for.

Old 02-23-20, 06:00 AM
C
Did you ever find a solution? I’m having the same problem with a Kirsch traverse rod. I have a friend who has the same traverse rod. Her inner rod ends right in the middle of the span so the rollers do not have to pass over it. If I can’t find a simpler solution, I’ll take the rod apart and cut the inner rod so it ends at the middle.

I’m hoping for a simpler solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: