Types of Curtains/Drapes for Traverse Rod (that aren't pinch pleat)?

Old 11-13-19, 10:22 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Types of Curtains/Drapes for Traverse Rod (that aren't pinch pleat)?

Hey guys... Had to get a traverse (corded) double rod for a large bay window situation. The rest of the room is modern/contemporary styled, so I do NOT want pinch pleats. Trying to find other options for these is nearly impossible online. What other types of curtains besides pinch-pleat can be used on these types of rods? Or should I say, which other types of curtains are compatible with drapery pins that wont droop or look terrible? I found this picture online and I'd like to know how they did this. Any insight? It's definitely on traverse rods but it doesn't look like it at all... What's going on here?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-19, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 80 Votes on 61 Posts
They're called Ripplefold and they're only custom. You won't find them in a store or online. It's also a special rod. It's on a trac system. Altho it's traversing, it's not a regular traverse rod.

A similar look is called a Cartridge pleat that can be hung like pinch pleats, but again, I don't think you'll find anything readymade. Any curtain with a pleat, even just a small fold, can be hung on pins. The problem is, I don't know where you can find them readymade, if that's what you're looking for.

Old 11-13-19, 06:30 PM
B
Is it possible to just use a rod pocket curtain with the pins? Or will it look bad

Old 11-14-19, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator
I think it would look bad. There's no place to insert the pins and it's not structured enough.
Do you know anyone that sews? Small "tunnels" can be made, either two lines sewn 1/2" apart or a small 1" pleat could be sewn to insert the pins.
There's also "wave tape" you can buy that can be sewn to the top, which will give you the look of the pic you attached.
Do you have an Ikea near you? They sell curtains with a header that you insert the rings they give you to. Not 100% sure how it works, but might be the closest to what you're looking for.

Old 11-16-19, 01:22 PM
B
Can the wave tape be sewn to any style of curtain? (obviosly not grommets etc but pocket rod or similar)

It seems I'm going to have to go full DIY on this

I honestly can't believe there isn't alternative curtains for traverse corded rods. Someone's missing out on a lot of money.

Edit:
Also I can get the little curtain clips and modify them to fit in the pin holes on the rod if there's another way I can use those to make this easier. I have no idea what type of curtains use those clips lol...

Thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it.

Old 11-16-19, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Okay, nix the wave tape. Was just checking it out and it won't work on a traverse rod. If you're able to sew a tape on, then get a Cartridge Pleat tape. Gives a similar rounded, contemporary look that can be used with drapery pins.

All the readymade curtains are made overseas nowadays and it's just cheaper and faster for them to only make a couple of different styles that can be hung on any old rod. There were a couple of places that offered more, but they've gone out of business. The other headings are pretty much custom. I know they're pricey but they are a lot of work.

burrmanchu voted this post useful.