Valance seams

Old 05-12-20, 08:12 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Valance seams

Hi,
I am not a professional by any means but am not a beginner. I completed valances with piping for a relative. They are finished. The seams are a bit puckered. What can I do to correct this after completion? I have read a lot about what to do while sewing. It is decorator fabric sewn with polyester thread. I was told to stretch the fabric by hand. Any direction is appreciated! I attempted to attach photo but not sure if it worked.
Umbuddah

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-20, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 90 Votes on 70 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Your pics didn't show. How to insert pics. You can also upload them to a pic hosting site and just put the link here.

I use a longer stitch and I just hold the fabric taut, front and back, as it goes thru the machine. I don't actually stretch the fabric.
I also glue baste the piping on before I sew, which helps tremendously with puckering.

Old 05-16-20, 04:57 PM
U
Seams puckering

Thank you. I will remember those tips the next time I make any window treatment. My valances are completed. Any ideas what I can do for puckering now?

Old 05-16-20, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 90 Votes on 70 Posts
Not much you can do after the fact, short of ripping apart and doing it over. You could try steaming it, but that could make it worse rather than better, so you could start with a very small section and see if it helps, but I doubt it.

If you try glue basting next time, use a 5/8" seam allowance and just dot along the outer edge. So if it's too stiff when finished, you can just cut that part off or serge it off.

Old 05-18-20, 04:39 PM
U
Seams puckering

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me!