Replace closet bifold doors with curtain/drape

Old 03-12-21, 08:09 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace closet bifold doors with curtain/drape

Hi. Hope everyone is well and safe.

I am replacing bifold closet doors with a drape/curtain. I don't like the way the doors open up into the room as they get in the way in a couple of smaller bedrooms we have. I was planning on using a tension rod to fit in between the jambs and then hang grommet drapes. The size of the opening (inside dimension) is 48"W x 80"H. Given this I was finding the most common size to fit this space was 52/54/55"W x 84"H. This has led me to a few questions:

It struck me that a grommet drape will not fully close, will it? If it doesn't, a 54"W drape won't cover the 48" width of the closet door. How do we get around that? I understand that two panels would fix it but that is a lot of material 110" to act as a door. Open to all suggestions as this is the first time doing this. Also, not married to the plan above if you have a better idea. Thanks.

Old 03-12-21, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 163 Votes on 130 Posts
First of all, a readymade grommet panel will probably be more like 50" not 54", so 100" will not be too much. Normally you'd want 2x fullness for a window so it doesn't look like a sheet hanging there, so as far as looks go, you'd want the same for a closet. It won't look as much as you think because it'll have a ripplefold look to it, rather than excess fabric.
You could always buy a flat panel and hang it from rings, but again, without some fullness to it, it'll look like a sheet hanging there.

edee_em voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: