Sizing drapery on window over wainscot

Old 04-14-21, 08:56 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sizing drapery on window over wainscot

Hi. Hope everyone is well and safe.

I am wondering if there are any design guidelines about drapery/curtains for a window in a room that has wainscoting all the way around and under the window I want to install drapes on. The window is 8" down from the ceiling and 5" up from the wainscot (at the bottom). The window is roughly 52"w x 44" h. The room is smallish (11'x11').

Essentially, should the drapes cover only the window or should they go to the floor? Thanks

Old 04-14-21, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 134 Posts
You want to go to the floor (just touching or 1/4", and no more than 1/2", off the floor. Short curtains can work in a nursery or child's room.
The rod would likely project out 3 1/2" anyway, so unless your wainscoting sticks out that far, the curtains should cover it.
If you don't want to cover it, then blinds or shades would be a better choice.

edee_em voted this post useful.
Old 04-14-21, 10:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 896 Votes on 826 Posts
You can search images for "wainscoting with curtains" or something similar and you'll get millions of pictures so you can see what it could look like either way. By far the most common is as Shadeladie recommended with them going almost all the way to the floor. In fact it's hard to find any pictures where the drapes don't go all the way to the floor.

edee_em voted this post useful.
Old 04-14-21, 12:01 PM
E
Shadeladie, I think I gave incomplete or incorrect information. What I meant is that the wainscot goes around the room, not around the window, and the window is about 5" up from the chair rail/cap. Does that change anything?

Old 04-14-21, 12:08 PM
E
Pilot Dane, Thanks for the look up tip. I started out with that but even though it is said that a picture says a thousand words, I didn't here a dang one about design guidelines!! Noticed you gave two pics with one showing all the way and the other only a bit lower than the bottom of the window. I imagine, as is the case with most design things, do what you want. Unless the bedroom is going to be the feature in some design magazine, which it's not, beauty is in the eye of the guy doing the work!

Old 04-14-21, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 134 Posts
I understood. I've actually never heard of wainscotting that only goes around a window. Any rate, it's just treated as part of the wall, so whatever you would put on a window with a regular wall, you'd do the same if it has wainscotting, paneling, wallpaper or whatever. If you prefer not to cover it, then I'd go with blinds or shades rather than short curtains.
BUT altho short curtains are not trendy and not my preference, you can certainly hang short ones if that's what you prefer. It is your house and it sounds like that's what you would prefer.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 04-14-21 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-14-21, 07:46 PM
E
Regardless of what I choose, I will be on trend at some point. Everything is cyclical after all. Thanks for your thoughts Shadeladie!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: