Opinions on size of hem

Old 04-16-21, 03:08 AM
E
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Opinions on size of hem

I need to hem some premade curtains that are 84" to 80 1/2". I will be using hem tape as I don't have a sewing machine nor the skills. Should the hem be a certain size like 1" or can I just fold up the 3 1/2" so I don't have to do any cutting? Thanks

Old 04-16-21, 05:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I have seen it done both ways. I think most floor length curtains have hems 3-4" so the 3 1/2" you mentioned would look appropriate. When doing things like that I like to measure everything out. Do my folds. Then I iron it in place. This allows you to stand back and see how it looks and the ironed sharp creases help hold the fabric in place when sewing or taping. And if after ironing you spot a mistake it's easy to fix and re-iron.

edee_em voted this post useful.
Old 04-16-21, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
I make a double 4" or 5" hem, so just turn it up and don't cut any off. I've only seen a 1" with a rolled hem on sheers.

Old 04-16-21, 08:17 AM
E
Thanks! Just thought of another question. If the hem is 3"+ would one row of tape work or should I use two? Something like one strip near the new hem and another up towards the top. I was wondering if the hem created would lose its shape, billow out with only one row of tape? Please let me know if I'm overthinking this project (I kind of feel like I am). The tape I have is 7/8" wide.

Old 04-16-21, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
Just near the top. 7/8" is a little too wide for hems. 3/8" would be a better size if possible. Just go up and down with the iron, not back and forth, so as not to stretch out the fabric.

Old 04-17-21, 08:17 AM
E
Getting pleats back into hemmed drapes

Thank you so much for all the good advise. The hem is done and it looks pretty good, if I do say so myself!!

One last little niggly bit: The hem tape has created a pretty stiff hem. This doesn't allow the pleats (grommet top drapes) to fold easily at the hem (they stay "open", or are kept open following the hem/by the stiffness of the hem).

I have to iron the drapes as the final step but should I wait? Will the hem tape "loosen" itself? Should I launder the drapes (they were laundered before hemming)? Thanks

Old 04-17-21, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
I've never used tape for hems (I hand sew) so not really sure why it's so stiff. If you used the 7/8" tape, could be the reason or maybe the brand. Is the tape washable? If so, washing again may unstiffen it a bit. You could also try folding it where it should curve and see if that helps. Was this iron on tape? If you could tell me exactly what you used, I could try to come up with another suggestion.

Old 04-17-21, 09:44 AM
E
Thanks Shadeladie

I used the 7/8" Heat'nBond Red (ultra hold because of drapes) iron on tape. It is washable.

I tried to get the curtains to fold but they do not hold. Another factor may be that I didn't cut off the premade hem on the drape. I placed the tape just below that hem line so the tape and that sewn in hem line may be working against the drapes falling naturally.

Funnily, I tried a different approach on the other panel. I only created a one inch hem on that and cut away the extra fabric. I heard your advise about 7/8" tape being too much so I cut the tape in half. That panel has the exact same issue.

They need to be ironed any way as the original pleat is pretty much gone after washing so I'll just pay a bit more attention down at the hem and see what happens. If that doesn't work, into the tub they go!!

Old 04-17-21, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
So that's not the right one to use for curtains, even at a smaller size, which is why it's so stiff. That's more for making bags and things like that.
This is the one you should have used: Regular Hem Iron on
You could try washing it to see if it softens, but I would try to remove it, which may be easier since you just put it on recently, and use the correct stuff. I think that's really your best option.

Old 04-17-21, 11:15 AM
E
I went with this one because the drapes are room blackout and thermal. They are polyester but have some weight to them. Lesson learned. They'll have to work for time being but I will get other tape for set I'm doing in other bedroom. Thanks for all your help!

Old 04-17-21, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
The one I linked to works fine for heavier curtains. There's actually a lighter weight one for sheers and lightweight fabrics.

Old 04-19-21, 01:12 AM
E
There's always one more question, isn't there...?

Do/should drapes with grommet headers have a crease ironed in? I noticed some creases when they were unpackaged and after laundering they mostly came out but I don't know if they were pressed in at manufacturing or whether they were just folding creases from packaging. Thanks

Old 04-19-21, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator
Grommet panels should just have that rounded, ripplefold effect. The creases are just from the folding and packaging. Who knows how long they've been in the package, so it just starts setting. Often hard to press out, too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: