Bracket placement

Old 05-14-21, 05:52 AM
E
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Bracket placement

Hi. Hope everyone is well and safe!

I was wondering (i.e. overthinking) if it matters where on the curtain rod one places the brackets that support the rod. Assuming two brackets are being used, should they be at the ends near the finials or can they be moved from that spot? Thanks

Guess I should add that they are grommet curtains that will be hung on the curtain rod.

Last edited by edee_em; 05-14-21 at 06:00 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 05-14-21, 06:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
On a heavy curtain that needs solid backing, the placement of the brackets typically has more to do with where the framing is located. On a window you typically have a solid header directly over the window, but the studs on the sides may not extend very far beyond the trim, if at all.

If your walls are drywall, a stud finder is a good way to verify where the studs are before you drill.

edee_em voted this post useful.
Old 05-14-21, 07:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Some rods have areas at the ends specifically for clipping into the hanger brackets. Also, longer rods or those for heavy curtains may also have a support in the middle. I have seen some where the rods are longer and protrude a fair bit beyond the brackets but that's a style decision.

Old 05-14-21, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
As long as they are away from the window itself and a few inches at least. The ends of the curtains should be past the bracket. The brackets should not be seen.

Old 05-16-21, 08:54 AM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
I think the main thing is the rod needs to be strong enough to support the curtains and a climbing cat. Example being a thin hollow aluminum rod needs the support fewer inches apart than a solid steel rod. Rather the rod extends past the bracket is a looks thing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: