ductwork removal

Old 03-12-04, 08:25 AM
Jenz
Visiting Guest
Question ductwork removal

We have a home built in the 1970's with metal furnace ductwork wrapped in "?". We want to install all new ductwork and remove the old. How should the old be removed and how can we find out if the "wrap" has asbestos?

Old 03-12-04, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What does th wrap look like?

Old 03-12-04, 11:47 AM
Jenz
Visiting Guest
ductwork removal

Hi Mattison,

The "wrap" is yellow and looks like fiberglass strips which have been wound and wrapped around the ductwork.

Old 03-14-04, 06:10 AM
Sounds like it could be asbestos. You will have to check your local laws about residential asbestos abatement and disposal. Some areas will alow a home owner to do it then properly dispose of it in a land fill.
Personally I wouldn't touch it I'd leave it to the pros that do this for a living.

Old 03-14-04, 06:26 AM
You don't mention why you want to replace the ductwork. If it's still intact and going to the right place(s), why change it?

Just curious

Old 03-14-04, 07:42 AM
Im with them Why new duct work??? Dont it heat and cool the home ok now??? Could take a little of that yellow STUFF and see if it will melt with a small torch then its fiberglass. ED

Old 03-14-04, 08:50 AM
unless major duct changes are to be made, why not remove the insulation, seal all joints with mastic and reinsulate? as ed said, put a flame to the insulation...can you email me a pic of it?

Old 03-15-04, 08:46 AM
Jenz
Visiting Guest
ductwork removal

to: HVZC 4U,

Appreciate the advice--found out no asbestos involved. The ductwork is 35yrs old, metal, and the basic qestion is "when, if ever, to replace ductwork if no major changes are anticipated"? Other than "sealing and re-wrapping", do these ducts get lots of dust, etc in them, if you have a good filter system, or deteriorate, so it is best to replace them every so often? Have not noticed any major problems with delivery of heat and now we are going to install an air conditioning system and simply wonder what would be best, re-seal and re-wrap or put new ones in?
Also, what should I expect to see if contractor puts camera in to look inside ducts? What is "normal", so-called, and would this stuff not be blown back into house if good filter is in place?

Last edited by Jenz; 03-15-04 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-15-04, 09:28 AM
35 years and it works . Stay with them . You might have them cleaned out if you want. Then just keep a new air filter it it every 30 to 90 day heat and cool ED

Old 03-15-04, 05:47 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Jenz

Mind if I ask a few questions? And hope I can remember to return and get your answer...haha. I'll try to remember as I surf the site.

Are you saying you are going to install an A/C system on an existing furnace, which has to be assumed to be the original?

Not likely will the A/C unit fit on the top or side of the existing heater. Top for an updraft unit and side for a horizontal unit. No mention of which type of unit it is.

New A/C units do not often fit squarely on top of older style heating units. Can be done but not often without some extra customized work needed. None I have seen fit exactly correctly.

Often times when A/C is added, the existing metal ducting is replaced with the new flexible ducting. Far better at energy efficiency and much easier to work with too. Worth the costs to install to gain the energy efficiency and have new clean ducting, in my opinion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: