DIY Duct cleaning

Old 03-21-04, 08:13 PM
ductdog
Visiting Guest
DIY Duct cleaning

Does anyone know if there is a brush attachment that you can put on your shopvac or vacuum cleaner to clean your own airducts?

Old 03-22-04, 04:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've not been involved in duct cleaning but from what I understand the vac attches to the duct near the airhandler then they run a spinning brush "kinda like on a drain auger" through the ducts. They cover all the others except the one they're cleaning to get a good vacuum.
I don't think a shop vac would give you enough power to make much of a differance.

Old 03-22-04, 07:05 PM
ductdog
Visiting Guest
Thanks.

anything is better than nothing. According to the EPA, commercial duct cleaning rpoduces no effect on air quality. i thought i would just try to vacuum out my ducts myself.

Old 03-23-04, 04:33 AM
What I did in my old house that is about 100 years old is took the ducts in the basement down and cleaned them and the main out. You'de be suprised what you'll find in them. So the only ones that didn't see a cleaning was the wall stacks to the 2nd floor.

Old 04-02-04, 06:35 PM
ductdog
Visiting Guest
duct sealing

for those whose air handler is in the attic, it is worthwhile to seal those ducts. i just did mine; 75 feet of duct work. what a horrible job. But, every joint in my 30-year old duct work, leaked. there were 1/2 inch gaps all over the place. some of the ducts had just completely separated from the outlets!

i sealed all of them with duct mastic and reinforced joint mesh-tape. They are air-tight now. It also involved removing and replacing the insulation. It was worth all the pain.

the next task is to clean them on the inside.

Old 04-03-04, 07:59 AM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
How often is the filter changed? That might be why its dirty inside.

Old 04-03-04, 08:42 AM
I have always found, just keeping a clean filter in there all the time pays off. Every 30 to 90 days when the units are on. Not a washable one. Also there is Spray Kote's that you can put on a filter a light spray on a new filter that also helps a lot.

A lot of the older fiberglass duct board ducts didnt use the iron on tape that we use now, so it came off. Also the flex duct .Now has to have a double draw band on them then the mastic.

ED

Old 04-25-08, 10:20 AM
B
What does the EPA have to say about it??

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/airduct.html

Read up before you kill yourself trying to make your ducts spic -n- span

-j

Old 04-25-08, 10:22 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Back from the dead!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: