adding a vent

Old 03-22-04, 09:04 AM
peter-8
Visiting Guest
adding a vent

I have finished framing my basement, and basically created 2 rooms. The main room is 25X17. It has the return air vent, and 3 warm/cold air vents from the furnace. The other room is a workshop/craft area, and it is 11X10. The room has 2 exterior walls, a shared wall with the main room, and a shared wall with the furnace room. I am not sure what my heating options are for this room, but there is no warm/cold air vent from the furnace. I need some advice. How difficult is it to add a vent from the furnace to my workshop? is this something I can accomplish with little problem? What things must I consider? The job itself is not difficult. The furnace is next door to the shop, and I can tap into the furnace system with little problem, but what must I take into consideration? By adding heat/air to this room, do I impact the performance of the furnace to the rest of the house? Should I consider a baseboard electrical heater instead? Buy law, do I require a vent in this room? I did obtain a building permit from the city, so my work will be inspected. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-22-04, 09:48 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Id check code for where you are first . If the duct line is there in the room now Id just cut in it and put a small register in it. That way you could just open it when you need it in there .Or, a take off in the duct ,round pipe to the outside wall a register blowing down in a bootabout 12" in from the outside wall. If the room has a door on it you might want to cut the bottom off so its about 2" off the floor to let the air out to the return. Any heat that you let out down there will go up and warm the floor overhead. So its no big loss or that you should need more heat.
The way homes are going and keep getting tighter and tighter.You might want to put a Carbon monoxide alarm down there .
ED

Last edited by Ed Imeduc; 03-22-04 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-23-04, 07:21 AM
peter-8
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice. I picked up the supplies from Home Depot and cut into the duct line and put a 4" line and register in the wall...it was pretty simple. I will put the door a few inches off the floor to allow the cold air to be sucked out. As well, my wife's entire family are fire fighters, so a carbon monoxide detector is a must have. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Old 03-24-04, 07:26 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb Using Energy Efficiently

Hello: Peter

Tapping into an existing vent can be accomplished, based on the well described existing condition. The down side is less heating for the entire house, since some warm air will be diverted into the shop area.

No intake would be required for such a small area as described, 11x10. Small enough to heat with a small protable type electric heater.

Has several advantages using a small electrical heater too. Used only while in the shop area, no register to open or close, no tapping into an existing heat ducting and no loss of heat to the house heating system.

Unseen advantage is less work and the amount of warmth in the shop area can be better controlled without heating the entire house for that one room, likely to be colder than the rest of the house.

Using energy wisely....
"My Two Cents"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: