Preventing Things From Coming Down Range Hood Vents

Old 04-16-04, 12:13 PM
charding
Visiting Guest
Preventing Things From Coming Down Range Hood Vents

I just purchased a new home and it is located on a very busy street. The problem that I have is numerous amounts of brake dust and grime coming into the kitchen through the range hood vent. This dust layer coats countertops, floor, appliances, etc. and is pretty disgusting. Cleaning is useless because the dust layer returns after 2-3 days.

I was wondering if there was any type of filter or filtering system that can be installed in the range hood tubing to prevent items from coming in. I do not want to restrict the air flow as well as defeating the purpose of the grease filter.

This is a very frustrating and dirty job. Home Depot and Lowes stated that they did not know of any items that are for sale that could take care of this problem. One persons recommendation was to cut and shape an AC filter into the vent tubing.

Any ideas? TIA!

Old 04-16-04, 12:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I dont see how this air is getting back into the home . Any kitcken vent fan has a flipper on itor should ????? Both inside and outside. Do you feel air comeing in from the hood there????

ED

Old 04-16-04, 08:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You shouldn't be getting any back daft in the hood..

You should have some type of Flapper on the roof cap and some times just above the hood.

Othrwise, the dust and what not may be leaking in a leaky window frame. also with the warm weather here, it will come into the home when you open the windows.

Old 06-03-04, 09:05 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Maybe your 'flap' is stuck opened? Couldve happened when the range hood was installed..and whoever did it might have inadvertantly compressed the connection of hood vent to exaust venting. A little bend there couldve 'freezed' the flap open. Seen it happen before.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: