Fresh air intake and humidity

Old 06-04-04, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fresh air intake and humidity

I just replaced my 40 year old gas furnace with a high efficiency model. The old furnace had a humidifier on it that I ran for part of the winter. However the installer said that since there is no air removed from the house with the new furnace (self contained venting) that the humidity in the house will naturally be much higher without even using my humidifier.
He suggested I install a fresh air intake from the outside directly into the cold air return to help with the humidity.

Does this sound like a resonable thing?

No real question here just sharing a story. I had been planning on doing something like this already just to keep some fresh air in the house. I realized yesterday that with this vent installed running the furnace fan all the time will have a negative effect. I did this yesterday and the air conditioning kept kicking because I kept sucking warm air into the house. I closed the damper on my air inlet (I was smart enough to put one in) and the AC cycled a lot less. No real question here just sharing a story.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-04, 09:21 AM
Wink

That poor AC with you just pulling all the humidity in the home and it trying to get it out. To make you feel cool. Id close it off all the time
that the humidity in the house will naturally be much higher without even using my humidifier.
He suggested I install a fresh air intake from the outside directly into the cold air return to help with the humidity.
Put the humidifier back in and dont take cold air in and have to heat it. Think about it that cold air with high humidity you bring in will expand when it gets hot sooooo it dont have that high humidity in it when its in.

ED

Old 06-05-04, 06:06 AM
i am with ed

use a humidifier for sure.

Old 06-05-04, 10:59 AM
I think there was some miss comunication, in the winter the humidity in the house will be high humidity because there is no air exchange to remove it. The furnace is no longer using inside air but the bathroom etc are still creating humid air.

The HVAC guy said I needed the fresh air in to help keep humidity down, not up.

Old 06-05-04, 11:47 AM
Wink

Take and ask around there . People with the 80 and 90 AFUE furnace still use a humidifier on the furnace.
Look out that hvac guy will try and sell you lots of other stuff also.

ED

Old 06-05-04, 01:36 PM
They always try sell you stuff, everything he came up I either said no or I will do it myself. I am not removing the humifier I have just turning it off unless I need it. I still like having a fresh air intake into the house otherwise I find the house gets stale.

Old 06-06-04, 09:13 AM
LR!
Visiting Guest
Agreed. Keep the humidifier to turn on in Winter. Our house is nearly 10yrs old & still EXTREMELY tight. We installed a fresh air exchanger, etc. about 5-6 years ago. We really like it, but still need the humidifier in the Winter, despite our low heating bill (compared to our neighbors). Of course, we do live in Michigan, which may make our situation a bit different.