Bathroom Venting Puzzle

Old 07-04-04, 02:56 PM
quirt904
Visiting Guest
Bathroom Venting Puzzle

I've owned this house for several years. The Upstairs bath is a gable dormer--I think the term is--with a Nutone heat/fan/light unit. Concerned about mold, I've been trying to determine exactly where the fan vents to, because there is no obvious vent apparatus on the outside. (A snake in the fan opening went nowhere.) And the area is 40 feet up and unreachable for inspection.

A plumber, electrician, and builder all told me the same thing: the fan either vents into the soffit or into the space above the ceiling. And, they said, the first might be ok but the second is a problem. It would have been better if there were an exterior vent.

To find out for sure, they said to get smoke into the system and see where it comes out. Problem: smoke bombs, pellets, sticks aren't suitable--overkill smoke, the supply house told me, don't use these things for that reason in a small space. Back to square one. Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 07-04-04, 02:59 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Take down the grill from the bath side, and shine a flashlight up the aperture. You should be able to tell what the first few feet look like and which direction the pipe follows.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: