Duct cleaning, worth it??

Old 07-16-04, 09:50 AM
zig
Visiting Guest
Duct cleaning, worth it??

Anyone have experience with duct cleaning?? My house was built in 1959, it doesn't look like it was ever cleaned. i can see in the main duct and it is dusty and a few things in there. i stuck my shop vac in there and cleaned some of the dust. I've owned the house for about a year now. I've not really had that big of a dust problem or any problems with allergies. I know people that have this done every couple of years. I know it can get expensive with all the options and such. I try and change my furnace filter every month. I use the $.77 filters with no problems. Would a better filter do anything better?? Any opions are appreciated...
Thanks..

Old 07-16-04, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Dont do it. Save your money and spend it on better filters. Change them like you have every 30 days thats fine .Go to the pleated kind and a MERV rating on it like 5 or 6 will work for you.

ED

Old 07-16-04, 08:41 PM
Zig

I agree with Ed on this one. We had ours cleaned several years ago. About the only difference I noticed was he sprayed some smelly stuff in the ducts before he left. He did clean the duct system, drilled a 1" hole and plugged it every 10' or so. Ran the vacuum and all! Big deal, I could have done the same thing myself and saved my money. Thy got me that time but it won't happen again.

Keep you money and just keep changing the filters monthly.

This is only my opinion.

Old 07-18-04, 08:22 AM
It Depends...

My parents had it done on thier last home when the changed out both Furnace, and A/C.

Mom started to have astma, so she asked for the duct work to be cleaned at the time, and there was alot of dust and what not in it over the 20+ years when dad done some remodle to the house.

The dealer did the complet cleaning on all the duct in the 2 story home, after that mom said she noticed a diffreance. Also gotten better air flow upstairs as well.

I woiuld suggest to do it if there's a health issues.

Old 07-18-04, 08:54 AM
zig
Visiting Guest
thanks everyone for the replies. my house is a ranch and seem to have no problems with air flow. and no allergy or asthma problems. so i'll probably pass on doing it... just wanted to make sure before i start boxing in my ducts this winter in the basement...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: