adding soffit vents

Old 07-25-04, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
adding soffit vents

My house has a 1000 sq ft attic. I have 5.1 sq ft of gable and "eye brow" roof vents. I only have 1 sq ft of soffit vents. Of those they are all blocked by insulation. So the first of my questions is, knowing I need 50% of roof vs 50% of soffitt ventilation, is it advisable to punch in more soffit vents to attempt to equal this out? Secondly, as the insulation blocking my vents, should I just pack the insulation down. Essentially if I look through the vents from the outside of the house, I can see the bottom of the insulation. Someone rolled it in and left as is. I'm not sure if packing the insulation is the right thing to do or if there is some other method, or device out there I should use.

Old 07-26-04, 02:09 PM
Wink

Home depot and Lowes have a foam rafter vent. You could get one and see if you can push it over the insulation and out into the over hang. this would let the air get up into the attic over the insulation. Thats what they are made for.

ED

Old 07-26-04, 03:49 PM
ed is right, i used those styrofoam pieces on my house

i am particular, so i used a garden rake to pull back the insulation, and put in the sleeves. i then replaced the insulation...works very well

Old 07-26-04, 07:04 PM
I am going to try to do all of this work from the outside. It's not pretty up there in the 'ol attic this time of the year, or probally any other time. I am thinking about Sawzalling the individual blocks out (cutting the nails), install the vents you are talking about and replacing the block w/ larger vents. I think I should be able to either bracket the blocks back in or tweak my nail gun in there some how to reshoot them. If this sounds nuts please reply.

Going back to part of the original problem. Any issues with installing even more soffit vents that you guys can see. It seems to me I'm under vented. Then again I'm an amateur.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: