New Duct in Converted Garage

Old 07-27-04, 12:07 PM
Erik
Visiting Guest
Question New Duct in Converted Garage

I was told that 8" duct was to large for a 17' x 11' room because it would not have sufficient velocity to cool the room. Would a 12' run of 8" split into a 4' & 8' run of 6" duct maintain velocity while cooling the room better than a single 6" duct? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Erik

Old 07-27-04, 12:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Its more in what is the heat loss and gain for this room. Not just how big is it, windows, outside door,insulation? Where are the registers at and how far do they have to throw the air . Now Ill say this most of the time a 12"round will go to two 8" round and one 8" round is good for two 6" round pipe to registers Also what kind of return do you have for this room

It all counts for what to put in

ED

Old 07-27-04, 01:06 PM
Erik
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the fast reply. There aren't any windows or outside doors. The room is fully insulated, walls and ceiling. There is one register located in the ceiling above the seating area (it's a home theater) centered on the 11' wall 4' from the wall with the door. I was thinking about putting another register above the other half of the room. As far as return I only have the crack under the door now but was thinking about installing a return through the wall above the door. The house is located in Phoenix, AZ if that makes a difference. Thanks again.

Erik

Old 07-27-04, 01:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Phoeniz AZ oh yes . Theater Body load the heck with the room loss. Id go 8" supply and 2 6" round registers in the ceiling so the AC falls down. Get returns in the wall high.

ED

Old 07-27-04, 02:02 PM
Erik
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thank you again!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: