Question about Plenum size

Old 07-31-04, 12:07 PM
WKPrather
Visiting Guest
Question about Plenum size

Hello, I am faced with replacing my air conditioner and furnace. One contractor informed me that my plenum was too small at 8" by 16" and would need to be doubled in size. The other contractor did not even mention it. I will be getting quotes from both next week. Any help about determining if the plenum has to be enlarged or not would be appreciated. It will be a 5 ton AC unit and probably a 175000 to 200000 BTU furnace. Thanks, Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-04, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Im just not sure how are what you have there. I will say this. For a 5 ton AC and a 200k furnace no way at all can you do it.

A 8"X16" === 700CfM. your duct there cant take 2 ton AC
It takes about 400 CFM per ton you will need 2000cfm for the 5 ton for a good job you need 350" are a duct about 10"X35".

ED

Old 08-03-04, 08:50 AM
WKPrather
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. Fortunately the plenum can be easily accessed. The idea now is to make it 16" by 16". At least that would be better. The old 4 ton AC unit never did a good job of cooling the house (2 story 3600 sq.ft.). It sounds like the plenum size may have been a big part of the problem. Thanks, Bill Prather

Old 01-29-09, 08:11 AM
Hello i'm new to the page and imp looking for some help on plenums size, not really sure if this is the correct place to ask questions, any help would be appreciated
thanks

Old 01-29-09, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by WKPrather View Post
Hello, I am faced with replacing my air conditioner and furnace. One contractor informed me that my plenum was too small at 8" by 16" and would need to be doubled in size. The other contractor did not even mention it. I will be getting quotes from both next week. Any help about determining if the plenum has to be enlarged or not would be appreciated. It will be a 5 ton AC unit and probably a 175000 to 200000 BTU furnace. Thanks, Bill
Hello imp new to the page and imp looking for some help on plenums size, not really sure if this is the correct place to ask questions, any help would be appreciated
thanks