air duct in attic or crawl space

Old 08-03-04, 07:18 PM
mikeln
Visiting Guest
air duct in attic or crawl space

i have aheil downflow heat/ac unit 17 years old,have not had any problems until now.the a coil pan is rusted out.there was four holes in pan.water was running on floor in front of a coil. trying to make it through the summer before i have the new heating and air put in.i put gutter joint sealer in holes holding for now.would like to replace it with a upflow unit.have plenty of room in attic.the ducts are in crawl space now, not much room to work you have to crawl over or under duct work to do any work in crawl space i worry that someone may cause duct to come a part under duct insulation and not know it.what are the advantages of having ductwork in attic or crawl space. i live in okla winters not real cold, summers are hot. i do not know how long a coil pan has been leaking may water in duct under unit.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-04, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I would for sure put the duct down in the crawl space. We do all the time and we dont use insulation on the duct at all . Use metal duct. Close all vents 6 mil poly on the ground 2' over lap tape all seams and up the wall some. 2"or3" polystrene on the wall up to the joist. Put R19 in each joist space just up there on the sill plate. All around the home. Also 2 small outlets in the duct for down there.
This lets the whole thing work as a heat sink for you.

go look at http://aboutsavingheat.com/crawlspace.html

ED