Noisy whole house fan

Old 08-05-04, 12:46 PM
srd
Visiting Guest
Noisy whole house fan

We bought a '79 vintage house with a whole house fan that is very noisy. I don't know if much can be done to "repair" this or if I'm better off buying new and replacing. I have thought about replacing the belt with a link belt to see if that helps. Any other thoughts?

If I am better off replacing, can anyone recommend one that does a good job and runs relatively quiet? The house is 3000 ft2.

Thanks,

SD

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-04, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Dont know where your at but whole house fans here are out and dont use them anymore.

You said belt for sure get a new one also slow it down some helps a lot. See if you have one on the motor now are get a variable pitch pulley for it.

ED

Old 08-11-04, 09:52 AM
srd
Visiting Guest
I'm in the mountains of Western, NC. We drop into the 60's at night throughout the summer and would like to get it quiet enough to be able to sleep with it running. If the belt alone doesn't solve the problem, how much would you suggest slowing it down?

Old 08-11-04, 02:44 PM
With a variable pitch pulley on the motor play with it and see . For a fan check out Grainger.com

ED

Old 08-11-04, 05:31 PM
look for grease fittings or oil ports. new belt will help for sure

Old 03-16-08, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by srd View Post
We bought a '79 vintage house with a whole house fan that is very noisy. I don't know if much can be done to "repair" this or if I'm better off buying new and replacing. I have thought about replacing the belt with a link belt to see if that helps. Any other thoughts?

If I am better off replacing, can anyone recommend one that does a good job and runs relatively quiet? The house is 3000 ft2.

Thanks,

SD
Check my post here for making a fan quiet:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...17#post1332117

Old 03-23-08, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by hvac4u View Post
look for grease fittings or oil ports. new belt will help for sure
Trying to guess what is causing fan noise without knowing what kind of noise it is is not helpful.

The fan noise could be motor hum, dry bearings, air noise, or noise caused by an old belt with hardened rubber. The solution for the noise problem depends on the nature of the noise.

To solve the noise problem, first determine the nature of the noise. If it is air noise, options are limited. Of course slowing the fan down by using a smaller motor pulley would reduce the noise level somewhat, but that would also reduce the air flow. To avoid that problem, I mounted my 30" fan in a gable, well away from the ceiling shutter, thereby increasing the distance between the fan and occupied areas of the house. If a fan is mounted in the ceiling, which is the most common mounting method, there will always be audible air noise. Do not mount a fan in the ceiling if you want it to be as quiet as possible!!

A worn belt or bearing which need lubrication can produce noise.

A belt tighter than necessary will increase the amount of motor hum transfered from the motor to the fan and from there to the house. It helps to have the belt as loose as possibe without slipping.

For those who haven't yet bought a fan, be aware that a large fan running slowly produces less air noise and is more efficient than a small fan running fast. I bought a 30" belt drive fan from Grainger, and used a 2-speed 1/3 HP motor; usually low speed was adequate.

A whole house ventilation fan can be very useful, but ONLY in climates where the night-time temperature drops enough that outside air will adequately cool the house. They should be turned on in the evening after the outside temperature drops below the temperature inside the house, and turned off in the morning before before the outside temperature rises above the temperature in the house. They cost considerably less to operate than air conditioning. Of course if you live in a dusty area, dust will be drawn into the house, in which case you might not want a whole house ventilation house.

Elsewhere on this board, I have a message explaining how to install a whole-house fan to that its operation will actually be inaudible; it can be done, but doing so will require considerable experimentation unless you take advantage of knowledge gained by someone else who has done the experimentation and learned how to eliminate the noise. You cannot expect a contractor to take all the necessary steps to make the fan quiet.