Foil duct tape won't stick - help!

Old 08-09-04, 10:59 AM
pbuck
Visiting Guest
Foil duct tape won't stick - help!

As part of finishing my basement, I'm modifying some ductwork - joining up regular metal duct pieces to each other but also flexible duct tube to metal ductwork - and the foil tape I'm using won't stay stuck! Cloth duct tape works great, but I have to use foil tape to meet code in an unfinished space. I've used two types , Nashua and 3M (bought from Home Depot or Lowe's) and they both so the same thing. The tape seem to stick fine when I first put it on, but within a couple of days it just comes off by itself - I'm left with a coil of loose tape around the joint - it even can fall right off onto the floor . This has happened in both summer and winter (i.e. both hot and and cold air blowing through ducts) and even cleaning the ductwork with alcohol first doesn't seem to help.

Am I doing something wrong?
Should I leave the heating or A/C off for a few days to let it cure or something?
Could I be using cheap tape?

Help! - the building inspector's coming in a couple of days.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-04, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

First Id ask why flex duct in the basement???? With the flex you have to have the bands there to hold it on . Then use duct mastic for a sealant.

Cant say on the tape .Is it old???????

ED