bathroom air vent

Old 08-23-04, 08:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Cool bathroom air vent

I am renovating our upstairs bathroom in a 1916 brick house and I have not been able to find much information about replacing ductwork in wall spaces.

I am replacing the lower 5 feet of one interior wall with drywall because the plaster was crumbling badly. The air vent register (gas furnace) was located on this wall. In the process of removing the lath and plaster, we exposed the air duct which we found to be covered in asbestos paper, much of which was frayed around the vent. The duct vent and paper has been removed by a professional down to the floor, and I am contemplating how best to replace the duct. There is/was metal lath surrounding the vent (the hallway wall is on the other side of this wall) and there are metal strips on either side attached to the studs.

My questions are: Is the metal there for a reason, and should I place a piece of sheet metal over the replaced duct attached to the studs from the floor to the vent?? Also, I was considering putting the vent a little higher up the wall, but then the back of the duct will directly abut the keys in the lath and plaster from the hallway wall. Is this a problem (is it a bad idea?) and do I need to continue the metal sheeting and strips above where they are now? Lastly, what is the best way of sealing the seams in the new ductwork and do I need to put any fire-retardant around the ducts to replace the asbestos paper?

I want to thank the professionals who volunteer to moderate these forums. As a fellow professional, I understand that the workday sometimes never seems to end. The time that you put in to answer everyone's questions is appreciated.
Old 08-23-04, 09:40 AM
Ed Imeduc's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mountain Williams Missouri
Posts: 18,386
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It didnt do anything on or for the duct. but the paper was to code at the time.

The duct vent and paper has been removed by a professional down to the floor, and I am contemplating how best to replace the duct.
He or she should know how. you just want a wall stack is all 3 1/4"X 10" 12" or 14" duck an put it in the wall space there.
Most wall stacks at a later time were set at 6'6" off the floor in the wall. if thats what you want.
you could get a sheet metar shop to make up a wall stack for you if lowes or home depot dont have them. Just some slips , screws and aluminum tape is all you need to put the stack together.
Can see if you can break off the keys and not hurt the other side of the wall.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: