Need better air filter

Old 09-26-04, 08:44 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need better air filter

When I moved in a few years ago, the air handler part of the heat pump had a filter that was about 3/4 inch thick and was made of a fairly tightly woven, compressable scratchy blue material. It was muc heavier than the cheap fiberglass filters and had no frame.

It was filthy and I tried washing it out without much success so replace it with pleated filters. In the last 6 months I've had almost constant runny, sticky eye discharge and can't help but wonder if it's junk not being stopped by the air filter. I change it every 3 months or so, but there still seems to be a lot of grime on the louvers of the upstairs air return. Does anyone have any idea what this original blue filter might have been made of and where I might get more?

THanks,

Beth

Old 09-28-04, 10:14 AM
Wink

heat pump had a filter that was about 3/4 inch thick and was made of a fairly tightly woven, compressable scratchy blue material. It was muc heavier than the cheap fiberglass filters and had no frame.
It was filthy and I tried washing it out without much success
Have you looked at the coil on the unit if it was that bad.Is it clean????? Also you can get better filters in the pleated one's. Look at the MERV ## on them try a 5 or 7

ED

Old 09-29-04, 04:43 PM
L
maybe it's the coil...

I didn't know about MERV #'s, but I checked and the pleated filters I've been using are a MERV 7. I guess I should check the coil. Is there an easy way I can figure it out without paying a service person, or am I better off getting a routine maintenance done?

Thanks,

Beth

Old 09-29-04, 04:53 PM
Wink

With the unit off open it up and see if you can get to the underside or intake side of the coil there and clean it with coil cleaner and wash it down with 50/50 water and clorox.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: