Server Room Exhaust

Old 10-28-04, 07:37 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Server Room Exhaust

I'm building a multimedia room under my basement staircase (centralizing audio/video/computer network equipment). The room is approximately 4' wide and 8' long. As these components create a lot of heat, I've purchased a squirell cage fan with a thermostat relay to have them cool the room. My question is, is it better to mount the fan at the ceiling pushing the air out, or near the floor pushing fresh air in? I'm circulating the air into the rest of the basement area. I also have an option of piping in the cold air return to the furnace to the room (duct runs right above), would this be advisable? Any other advise would be greately appreciated....

Last edited by ekbruster; 10-28-04 at 07:37 PM. Reason: typeo
Old 10-29-04, 09:10 AM
Wink

You dont say if you have AC down there also???? Id put the fan at the top of the room blowing out. I dont think you need a squirrel type fan for here. Id also cut in down by the floor a small filter grill to let the air in. It would help keep dust out of there.

ED

Old 10-29-04, 05:10 PM
E
Ac

Yes the entire house and basement are on central air. I'm thinking of venting the fan to the exterior of the house to keep the hot air out of the basement in the summer, although the basement doesn't get very warm in the summer, the server room itself is a sauna with all the electronics. The squirell cage was "available" and was the cheapest option currently. Thanks for the tip on the filter, I'll definitely pursue that.

Old 11-03-04, 09:47 AM
I personally have the same kind of application, except my server room is an entire closet in my office. Currently I have the doors removed from the closet so the head disipates enough but I have chosed to put a "muffin fan" (like a computer fan but later and 120 volts mounted directly into the cold air return to my furnace which runs direclty through the top of the closet.

This way when the furnace turns on it naturally takes the warm air from the closet, or if the furnace does not run for a long period of time the thermostat kicks in and the fan blows the air into the cold air vent and it will come out the rest of the cold air vents in the house.

If you do decide to create a vent out the side of the house for the summer months you might also want to consider an air intake into the room for the summer, this way its not sucking in your air conditioned air from the rest of the house. But make sure you can seal them off very thightly as the heat coming off your electronics does make a difference on your heating bill.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: