Hot versus cold ducts in basement

Old 11-08-04, 04:07 PM
sauntryf
Visiting Guest
Hot versus cold ducts in basement

I had a ventilator contractor in my house today to give me an estimate on cleaning my ducts. I have an electric forced air heating system. He was quite surprised to find the hot air ducts were on the lower inside walls of the rooms while the cold air return was in the ceiling. He said it should have been the opposite. Now this home is 6 years old and certified R2000. He also noted that the cold air duct from the air exchanger to the furnace had about a 10" air space. He said this should be a hard connection and I was pulling not just fresh air in from outside but also air from the room that the furnace is in. Apparently the open air space was an acceptable practice quite a number of years ago.
I do have about a 4 degree difference in the winter time between the main level and the basement.
Comments or suggestions?

Frank S

Old 11-09-04, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

You dont say where you are. Id check with code there.
I dont know of anyone that puts the heat registers on an inside wall anymore. last one I saw like that was back in the 70's. best to have them by the outside walls. Think about it if they are on the inside wall and the cold air return there in the center of the home how does the hot air get out and all over the rooms. For sure with that electric heat you dont need any outside air for it. Yes the cold air should be as he said hard duct to the furnace. He did a good job but I cant see cleaning duct and not on a home 6 years old. New filters every 30 to 90 days for sure will do a good job for you.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: