New guy questions... Will exhaust fan in basement help humidity?

Old 11-15-04, 07:15 PM
WillieD
Visiting Guest
New guy questions... Will exhaust fan in basement help humidity?

Hello all. I'm new here so bare with me plesae. Here is my situation. I have a 1965 brick ranch with a moisture problem in the basement. Went the route of regrading the yard a little to flow water away and moved out all my downspouts. I don't get near the amount of water in that I used to, but the walls still hold moisture and I constantly have to run a dehumidifier. The walls already have waterproofing paint on them. My question is will an exhaust fan vented through the basement wall help move the air around enough to draw out some of the humidity and make the dehumidifier run less? I was thinking of this because for one, I already have a 4" dryer vent in the wall that I could go into and two, because a guy at work had a Radon system installed in his place and a side effect of that was lower humidity in the basement. His system is a 4" PVC pipe that goes down through the slab and draws air and moisture from under tha basement floor via a 4" inline fan and vents it outside. Would I kind of get the same effect by rigging up a small vent fan and pushing out through that dryer vent hole? Will that draw out any moisture or just pull all my heat out of the basement. Tell me if it will work or tell me that I'm stupid, any input will help Thanks, Terry

Old 11-17-04, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Id let more of the furnace heat out down there. It will work on up into the home so its not a loss. It will help dry it out and help get the humidity up in the home where you need it in the winter time.

ED

Old 11-17-04, 07:27 PM
WillieD
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Id let more of the furnace heat out down there. It will work on up into the home so its not a loss. It will help dry it out and help get the humidity up in the home where you need it in the winter time.

ED
There are only 2 vents in the basement and that is in a separate part that is finished off. That might work in the winter, but what about the summer? In the winter it usually dries out anyway. Thanks for the response. Terry

Old 11-20-04, 06:08 PM
Thumbs down

If you have AC on this unit should let them open in the summer to help dry it out. Dont run another fan out with or in the dryvent.

ED

Old 01-13-05, 02:34 AM
N
a different view

Sounds like the cause needs to be addressed not the effects. Does your gutter down spouts move the water at least 10 feet from house? Do you have flower beds or bushes right up against house these are no nos and if you got them should be moved and grass placed up against house perimeter for first 6 feet around home. You need proper grade slanting away from home all the way around. Is your lot level or does water run down to your house? I had a house that always had water in basement they put god only knows how much water proofing paint on the walls it didn't work. The lot slanted toward home in back yard I found a low tech fix for the problem I dug a 2 foot ditch across back yard put 4 inch corrigated pipe in and ran it to the front yard near the street. The ditch was a U shape and looked pretty nice once I put gravel in it. It solved the problem and served as a walk way I also put 4 inches of the same gravel leading from that U to the back door It looked as if it was just a nice walk way nothing more.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: