ventilation prob in bathroom of tall building

Old 11-22-04, 07:50 PM
*angela*
Visiting Guest
ventilation prob in bathroom of tall building

i have a bathroom located on the second floor of an eight storey apartment building.

there are problems with condensation dripping down the bathroom walls after i shower, and the air duct above the shower (this duct is always on, ie. this is a passive system and is not activated by a switch) appears to have mould all over it.

the ceiling height is 3540mm (11.6 foot).

this apartment (like all apartments in this building) is less than one year old, although it is located in a heritage building (which was built in 1914).

the ventilation duct of every apartment leads up to two large outlets on the rooftop.

>>> how do i go about checking out what is wrong with this system, and what can i do to fix this problem?

any help would be cool

Old 11-23-04, 06:33 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Passive systems are not very effective to begin with, IMO, especially when it's cold outside. I would try to run a fan in there, if at all possible. For now, you can just inspect the duct and the rooftop vent to see if anything is obstructing the ventilation.

Old 11-30-04, 07:50 AM
*angela*
Visiting Guest
ok, i'll check it out.

if there doesn't appear to be any obstructions at the apartment ceiling side or at the outlet side on top of this eight storey building, what other options are available to me to sort this problem out - or should i just assume that it's a poorly-designed duct system, and hope for the best by the installation of an active electrically-operated fan?

Old 11-30-04, 11:29 AM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
clarification

Passive systems have no power driven motor to drive them. They MAY have a wind driven turbine...but not a motor. If it has a motor, light a candle and approach the fan and see if it sucks out the flame. If so, next place a sheet of paper over the fan and it should suck the sheet to the grill... This will prove air flow. If you live alone or with your spouce only, I use the moisture in the house by placing a fan in the door and spreading the heated moisture I paid for throughout the house unless you have a humidifier...
If its condensing on the exterior walls only, the wall might not be insulated.

Old 11-30-04, 11:59 AM
*angela*
Visiting Guest
this bathroom has no exterior walls - there are no windows, and this duct is the only way (other than opening the bathroom door to the room beyond) that moisture can escape this room.

condensation is on all the walls, and there is no problem with the insulation.

...so the flame test will only work on this passive ventilation system if it has a wind-driven turbine?

if that's the case, then is there any way for me to check if airflow exists should this system turn out to have no such turbine?

the apartment is on the second floor, while the outlet is located on the eighth floor rooftop.

Old 11-30-04, 06:15 PM
H
easily put,

if the ceiling register isn't sucking a sheet of paper and holding it there, then you have NO WORKING VENT! If it's a common vent from all apartments that always runs and is like an octupus, then you have a blockage or the flexhose came off, or the V belt is broken or loose...The question is, does it hold a sheet of paper?
got a digital photo of the roof top penetration?

Old 12-01-04, 08:28 AM
Wink

Not sure just what you have there on the vent fan. But you might take the motor out and see that the flipper damper in the pipe there is so it can open. have had guys bot a screw to hold the pipe on the vent lock the little damper shut.

ED

Old 12-01-04, 11:40 PM
*angela*
Visiting Guest
ok cool thanks guys, i'll have to get hold of a special ladder so i can reach the ceiling then i'll check it out

Old 12-02-04, 01:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you renting or do you own this apartment?

Old 12-02-04, 02:15 AM
*angela*
Visiting Guest
i own the apartment...

Old 12-03-04, 09:47 AM
H
before you go through all that

If you have a common vent to all the apartments, as many builders do, and one motor to vent all the apartments, ask your neighbors if they are experiencing the same problem, if so... the vent (most likely), is refered to as a mushroom style exhaust fan. They have a few bolts 7/16 or 1/2 holding on the cover. They are either belt driven or direct drive. Pop the cover off and take a peek. If you see a belt, you'll likely see a switch too, look at the belt and write the size on the outside of the cover (i.e.) 4L240, A24....using a pencil. The other thing to look for is bees nest.. If its warm outside wait for a cold day to check because they cant fly on say 50 degree days.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: