Cold Air Return Location

Old 11-27-04, 01:31 PM
ironman
Visiting Guest
Cold Air Return Location

I'm installing new duct work in an attic, all registers are on the ceiling (no other choice). I need to know the best placement of a 24x24" return grill with filter on the ceiling. The space is a total of app. 500 sq.ft. and is the shape of a cross, you walk in and there is a bathroom immediately to the left and a 6 ft. long hallway in front of you - the rest of that is one big room 250sq.ft and one bedroom on each side of that room 110 sq.ft. each. (Looking down it is the shape of a cross) I have a register on the ceiling above each window in each of those rooms. I need to figure out the best placement of one more register for the big room and the placement of the cold air return filter grate. Would it be best to have the return in the center of the big room with a register right when you walk into the apartment or place the return right where you walk in and place another register on the opposite side of the register that's already in that room. Would a 24x24" return suffice for the apartment? This is the easiest way I can find to do it. 40,000 btu horizontal furnace. No air conditioning currently but possibly later on. Any help as quickly as possible would be appreciated. It's getting cold in there! Thanks, Sean

Old 11-29-04, 07:39 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Id sure try and put that return grill in the center of the cross there. I think a 24X24 filter is hard to find all the time. You could look into a 20X20 filter grill maybe. Dont for get with the one return there. You want the doors to be up off the rugs or floor about 2" or more.

ED

Old 11-29-04, 03:43 PM
ironman
Visiting Guest
return location

Thanks for the response Ed, there is some space underneath the doors , I can also louver the bottoms of the doors or put some passive vents in over each door if the air flow isn't correct. The only thing I would be concerned about with putting the return in the center of the cross (room), would be creating a draft in the center of the main room (drawing from the whole apartment and sucking the hot air out rather quickly) - not to mention that the stove would be about 4-5 feet from the return in that location. If it is at the end of the hallway I wouldn't be so concerned about creating a draft in that area - but I guess what I'm asking is will the return at the end of the hallway have ample air supply to draw from in that location (the space is all fairly open)? Thanks for any help. Sean

Old 11-29-04, 05:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You could put it right by the furnace. But as near to the center of the home is the best

put some passive vents in over each door if the air flow isn't correct.
You want them down near the floor to get the cold air.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: