Adding Ductwork to a 1960 house...

Old 11-27-04, 05:30 PM
pottsinc
Visiting Guest
Question Adding Ductwork to a 1960 house...

Hi...I'm glad I found this site..lots of great advice...we need to add duckwork to a 2 story frame house in Ohio. We are adding a new furnace ...the master bedroom is over the garage so looking for ways to get the temp over 60........2 different approaches have been suggested....
1) add one duct up through the garage to the bedroom...and use a floor vent that would work better than the baseboard ducts

2) run a supply up into the attic and them feed any rooms that need more heat...

in the current flow...the basement is 80 degrees, first floor 70, and upstairs 65...master 60 ...down to 55 in the real cold.....

Thanks in advance for any help !!

Old 11-27-04, 07:54 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cold rooms above garages have a lot to do with a lack of insulation in the garage below. Uninsulated and/or poorly sealing garage doors do not help, either.

That said, the easiest option is a small electric space heater for the room.

An additional duct to feed the space will also work, but it must be sized properly, and it will need space to pass through... like a closet.

Old 11-28-04, 06:17 AM
pottsinc
Visiting Guest
What is the thought on the suggestion to add the vent up throught the attic...will the air flow up...and then down properly...I have also read some concerns about changing the environment in the attic by adding heated ducts...thanks!

Old 11-29-04, 03:14 AM
D
Air will flow in any direction if the ducts are designed properly. Air does not know "up" from "down".

Air does know about equivalent length. The number of back to back 90 degree elbows needs to be kept to a minimum.

Any ductwork in an unconditioned space (attic, duct chase or crawl) needs to be insulated.

Old 11-29-04, 06:37 AM
Wink

You dont say for sure just what you have here.Two story how big in sq ft. New furnace why dont the furnace guy know how to run the ducts. Why not a unit for up and one for down.

in the current flow...the basement is 80 degrees, first floor 70, and upstairs 65...master 60 ...down to 55 in the real cold.....
I dont get why the basement is so warm here. I think your whole duct set up should be reworked.

ED

Old 11-29-04, 07:15 PM
pottsinc
Visiting Guest
adding a duct

Thanks! There is not enough ductwork in these houses ..that is for sure...we have 2 estimates for new furnaces...one company suggested the new run through the garage to the bedroom floor....the other company suggested a run up to the attic and then feed any room that needs it...and to increase the cold air returns..... we don't really know which suggestion maybe best.....we have about 1600-1700 sg feet...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: