Electronic air filter: constant arcing

Old 12-03-04, 07:55 AM
C
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Electronic air filter: constant arcing

Honeywell f50e electronic air cleaner
gas furnace

I just cleaned the cells in this filter system (in the dishwasher, per instructions) and now I'm hearing a constant snapping noise. The Honeywell website says "If the collector plates are bent and touching one another or close to touching, an arc can occur. Also check for broken ionizer wires."

Are the collector plates the wide ones, fixed at an angle on the upstream side of the filter, or the small ones on the downstream side, parallel to airflow?

One of the wide angled plates has broken right at the joint with the frame. Possible to fix this?

If I see a broken ionizer wire, how do I fix it?

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-03-04, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Ill bet on its a wire that is broke in the grid. This is why we take out more EAC filters than we put in. They are a pain. Could be it was still wet inside.I think the last post here on the wires was 4 for $19.
So he is going to look into a airbear pleated filter to slip in there.They come 2"4"5". Id say look around for one. When that EAC gets dirt in it on the wires it is the same as no filter there at all you could say.

My .02 cents

ED

Old 12-03-04, 02:36 PM
C
Thanks, Ed

Thanks for your response. I fixed the broken plate by drilling a small hole in the plate and a small hole in the frame, and wired it together. I think that collector plate was causing the arcing. Anyway, the constant snapping has quit.

I'm a little surprised to hear you say you remove so many EACs. We'll keep a close eye on ours.

Thanks again,
Dave O

Old 12-03-04, 02:40 PM
Be best to retire the EAC Cells, and replace it with a Media filter. These filter are going to be much better than the EAC over time.

The Media filter (about 4" thick) only needs to be changed out once or twice a year vs washing the EAC Cells every month or less!

Take the cells out and lay them together to messure. You can get these media filters at home centers like Home Depot.

When you do take the cells out for good, make sure you remove the power all together from the EAC system.

I've done this on a few homes for families, and are much happier with the media!

Old 12-05-04, 02:03 PM
C
I'll have to keep it in mind for now

One detail I didn't mention is the system has an in-line humidifier that triggers when the EAC is operating.

Is the EAC really that bad an idea? I've seen a number of posts that imply the EAC is more trouble than it's worth, but my experience has been positive so far.

Old 12-05-04, 02:15 PM
They can be good just as long you stay on top of it keeping the cells cleaned every 3-4 weeks.

The trouble part is when people don't have time on a saturday morning to wash the cells then they put it off, again put it off, and then they forget about it.. Then it is like there is no filter in the system at all., or they wash it wrong and bend a plate or break a wire.

As the cells build up with dust, they drop in capitcy of catching dust.. Where the media as they build up with dust, they work better.

Old 12-05-04, 04:32 PM
Wink

What ever you have there that turns the EAC on will turn the humidifier on for you if you take the EAC out. Can be a A50 relay or on heatpumps and electric furnace I have just used a 220V coil relay to a 110v to turn UV lights and humidifierom when the blower comes on.

ED

Old 12-05-04, 06:34 PM
C
Thanks

Thanks for the info, everyone, and thanks Ed and Jay for good information. I've managed to stay on top of the cleaning schedule, and it's good to know I have an alternative if the EAC craps out.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: