Qs about HEPA for furnace

Old 12-07-04, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Qs about HEPA for furnace

Hi friends Im considering installing some kind of HEPA filtration on my forced air oil furnace.I have seen a couple of systems one just filters part of the recycled air the other does that plus mixes some fresh air .
My question: is there any evidence that either system would really improve or make a difference in the indoor air quality? wich is the more effective?
Thanks for input Regards

Old 12-08-04, 07:59 AM
HEPA Filter system are very Expensive..

I would suggest a Media Air Filter system, or use the April Air 5000 Air cleaner if you need a really good system.

They just tie into your regular return on your furnace.

Old 12-08-04, 10:02 AM
Wink

To try and take outside air for the home has not worked to well for any we have tried. like Jay said a good air filter in the duct works the bets there is Air bear they go up for 2" 4" and 5" fit right in the cold airdrop to the furnace. then the pleated filters with a MERV about 5. Then there is a filtercoator spray coat you can put on the intake side of the filter it helps also. Then we have the U V lights that go into the duct work and work on Bacteria and mole spores. Work kind of like a germicidal lamp.. Can check them out at
http://www.honeywell.com/yourhome

ED

Old 12-08-04, 12:00 PM
racer766
Visiting Guest
what about the MERV 11 3M Filtrete 1" thick filters?

Old 12-08-04, 01:04 PM
Racer,

The 3M filters will work, but they load up fast, and don't have as large of a surface area that a would be found on a 4" filter.

1" has to be watched.. Even tho the package says "Last up to 90 days" doesn't mean ignor it for 90 days.. It may have to be changed out in a month, where the 4" filtere will last up to a year or 6 months depends on your home.

So, do the math..

3M filter cost about $13, and last 1 or 2 months.

4" Media cost about $30, and last 12 months.

Old 12-08-04, 08:27 PM
Thanks so much for replies.one of the HEPA systems mixes about 20% fresh air it seems to work OK for a friend ,costs about $ Cd 700 [$ US 500]at Home depo [Venmar HEPA 3000] ties with the existing system but i need some evidence that it REALLY works .Regards

Old 12-08-04, 09:16 PM
I have not seen such unit..

http://www.venmar-ventilation.com/Ve.../hepa3000.html

How old is your house? If it's older, I don't see a point of spending that much money on it.

You or a family member has high allgery problem?

I would do a regular HRV system, and then do a better air filter in your furnace

Old 12-08-04, 10:29 PM
Thanks Jay , the house is old [1939] and im trying to find ways to improve the indoor air quality most of all this winter,we just found out that some of the heating ducts were lined with asbestos ,one of them was broken and we may have been exposed without knowing .The asbestos was removed by a licensed contractor and the other ducts are in good shape and were sealed with expanding foam,this Friday we are having an air test done but im really worie about my family, i also considered portable hepa air cleaners but again i dont know how really how efective they are.Thanks for help///

Old 12-09-04, 07:11 AM
As long the asbesto has been removed and ducts been cleaned, you should be ok.

The air to air system are pretty much used in new homes that are tight, where your older home is not as tight as these new homes being built.

I would just invest in a good air filter system for your home.

Old 12-15-04, 06:18 PM
musicalhair
Visiting Guest
4" filter

Hey, I'm jumping in late on this thread but I've not seen a four inch filter. I have a 3 M filrite I guess it is at the intake to my furnace and it might be due to be changed, but I'd like to consider one of these other filters if I can find out more about it.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-15-04, 08:48 PM
Most 4" filter has a cabinet made for them.. Some time they are slid into an EAC case as well.. If you don't have it.. One can be added to the duct work..

I've seem them done with out the housing for the 4" media. Just a slot made wide enough for it, and a cover the slides over the opening.

These filter can be found at HVAC dealers/wholesales, and Home Centers. it may depends on area they may not have demands for them at that home centers.. We got them at our Home Depot.

I just replaced mine after a month.. I should of had duct cleaning done. :-( She as caked with dust from the ductwork of 37 years.

Old 01-13-05, 12:18 AM
N
1937?

I wouldn't worry about bringing fresh air into that house probably has plenty of air infiltration from outside already. I would worry about getting the ducts cleaned and installing a return filter grill. Advice on duct cleaning beware there are no stardards any jerk with a shop vac could come out and do any kind of job and it would not be illegal. Even those that are members of duct cleaners association are not to be counted on. Anyone that pays the membership fee can claim to be a member without adhering to any performance standards. My advice would be to hire a company that has a video camera robot that can prove they did the job and show you the proof. When having your ducts cleaned make sure you get the proof, shop around and ask if they have video camera equipment that allows you to see what is inside the duct. Once you get it cleaned keep it clean get those return filter grills installed.

Old 01-14-05, 10:30 AM
Thanks very much for reply,i clean the ducts myself with a CERTIFIED HEPA vac[99.97 efficiency tested in the clean air machine,no leaks around filter or housing]and had an air test done in four different places in the hose.thanks God results were good I talked to the heating company about a Hepa on the return and what they coute was very very expensive
Maybe i can find something i can install myself at a reasonable cost,dont know if there is something outhere for DYSs
Regards papi

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: