Why not ask the Pro's (vent and cold air return in basement)

Old 12-30-04, 03:12 PM
Greg1459
Visiting Guest
Why not ask the Pro's (vent and cold air return in basement)

Basement Layout

Above is the layout of my basement. My question to you is where should I place the vents? Also can I use the existing 6" duct to supply heat downstairs as well or would I need to bring a new run off of the trunk.

The cold air return goes straight up through the first and second floor of my home. It is not near a wall to add the return air duct into. Can I get away with just shaving the door down a few inches for the return?

Thanks in advance for your help

Sorry the drawing is so crude and let me know if the link does not work.

Thanks

Greg

Old 12-30-04, 04:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Id say the drawing is ok just need more info here. You say 6" pipe but on the drawing you say 8" What registers come off the pipe now and where.that trunk line should go to the end of the home to that 25' wall. No you cant use the pipe there for up you need new runs for the down registers. Is this gas oil are electric need to know for the cold air return. post back in the same post

ED

Old 12-30-04, 06:15 PM
Greg1459
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. The trunk line definatly stops in the middle of the house. There is an I beam there that stops it. The round pipe is 8". And it is a natural gas furnace. The registers off of the 8" feed heat and air on the first floor. There is also a stack directly above the furnace that gets heat to the plenum in the attic. All the registers on the second floor are in the ceiling. Again thanks for your help

Greg

Old 01-03-05, 04:53 AM
Greg1459
Visiting Guest
Hope everyone had a great holiday. Again thanks for your input.

Greg

Old 01-03-05, 07:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Be best to tap into the main trunk, and run 6" pipe.

Bathroom, 1 supply is enough. Tap just at the end where you can get to it.

Are you planning on finshing off the basement?

I would put one supply in the smaller room near the bathroom. and two more in the larger room.. about 1/4 way from the walls on the sides.

Return, run a 8" pipe over past the furnace, and put it into the wall that breaks the furnace room from the large area. Put a double wall return towards the floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: