dust keeps coming back an hour after cleaning

Old 01-15-05, 05:58 PM
harleys373
Visiting Guest
Unhappy dust keeps coming back an hour after cleaning

My Husband and My 3 sons(12,10,9)ANd I Live in a house that is just full of dust. I will clean and with in an hour you can see it all over the place again and I looks like I haven't dusted in like months. It is all threw our cupboards, dishes,closets,EVERYHERE. we have had D.E.P in our house (they really could do anything cause they do outside air. But came to see it) They couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Told us that we should not be living in this. That it is bad for our health. I had a cleaning company come in cause I couldn't keep up. We her and 2 of her crew members were here for 5 hours and by the time they were done everything was covered again. She was so0o0o0o0 upset and disgusted. She didn't even charge me. But she also said that she wouldn't come back cause it was to harmful..We have had our insurance agent here and he was disgusted to. He said he would never have his kids in this house. He said he wouldn't even come to visit us cause of it. But he felt bad cause they couldn't do anything for us. But he said that this is urgent and we need to get out. I have friends that wont even come here to see us cause of it. We had a home inspector here. He couldn't tell us what it was from. But he did say we need to get out that it is destroying our health. I have a hard time breathing ALL the time I have asthma now. My kids are always missing school from being sick. We just don't know how to get us out of this house. We own it and I would NEVER want anyone else to live in this house. I fear so0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o much for the health of my kids. We have all these people telling us we need to get out but nobody can help us do it. We have DONE EVERYTHING that u can think of to get this to end and NOTHING has worked. Do u think if we got a system on our furnace it would help us? We have to change our filters on our funrance once a week..We do have 5 dogs but we had this problem before we got them. Thank u ,
Chrisstine

Old 01-16-05, 06:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How old is the house?

What do you have for flooring?

How old is the carepet if any, and padding under it.

Where is the furnace?

Duct in the attic or crawl space?

What do you use for air filter?

Old 01-16-05, 10:05 AM
N
Smile

Chrisstine:

Wow! We had a similar problem (but from what you describe not nearly as bad). We bought our home a few years ago (one-story, ranch-style, crawl-space style attic, no basement). We began to notice the house was very dusty -- much more so than we had been accustomed to. (We moved here from a tropical country where we needed no heat at all, and for air conditioning we had window units.)

In our present home we had central forced air heating and air conditioning system, which is popular in this region. We began to ask our neighbors if they too had a dust problem. All agreed that dust is a common and constant problem -- you just have to get some good filters and get used to it. And wipe dust up with a damp cloth. Don't just feather-dust it around from one spot to another. That wasn't very encouraging news, so I decided to look into the matter a little deeper.

I discovered that there is a serious problem associated with forced central air systems. The problem is the ductwork. I began doing some "research" to confirm my suspicions. We have an under the floor ductwork system. What happens, regardless of your filtering system, is that dust and dirt eventually accumulates, settles and collects inside the ductwork system itself. The forced air from the furnace/air conditioning unit simply pushes the air through the dusty ductwork and right back into the house via the floor registers. It just simply recycles and re-circulates all that dust and dirt around and around again and again.

We thought about having our ductwork professionally cleaned, but according to some information on the Web, it doesn't do much good because dust and dirt will soon collect and build up inside your ductwork system all over again.

I also discovered to my surprise that a lot of dust was being sucked down from the attic into the house. When the fresh air intake vent (ours is located in the hallway) starts to suck in air, the air pressure drops a little inside the house, which in turn sucks dust down from the attic via gaps such as ceiling lighting fixtures, ceiling fans, crawl-space attic ladder openings, etc.

Well, in hopes of offering some information to you (and anyone else who might be interested) I have almost written a novel, and I donít even know what kind of heating system you have. But if you have central air, beware of the ductwork.

Now for the solution: We replaced our central air system with a hydronic (hot water) baseboard heating system. This summer we will install window units for air conditioning. We love the hydronic system -- no more dust! The only dust we have now is what gets tracked in from the outside -- not the constant blizzard of dust and dust mites which was coming from the ductwork. We will now need to dust about once every two months instead of every other day -- and no more sneezing.

The transition was costly, but it is well worth it to breathe clean air once again and to get rid of all those vents, nasty ductwork and a bulky furnace and air conditioning system. Of course I realize our new system is not going to be trouble free. The contractor, from a larger town 150 miles away, said to expect to need some adjustments. He noted that hydronic systems in this area are not yet very popular, but newly built homes are beginning to demand them. And yes, our electric bill has increased, but we no longer have a natural gas bill.

If it's not your ductwork, I frankly don't know what the source of all that dust could be. One way you can track the source of dust (I have become a sort of "dust scientist") is to use a bright flashlight in a dark room. Maneuver the rays from the flashlight into just the proper angle near the floor registers and you will see the reflection of dust particles flowing into the house.

We also got rid of our carpet which absorbs and collects dust, dust mites and a host of other undesireable things. We replaced it with easy to clean vinyl. (We will have to wait for a few years to be able to afford that new car.)

English is not my natural language, so I apologize for the grammar and strange sentence construction. Hope you can read it and I hope it helps in some way. This post is also very long. The manager of forums is probably going to delete it.

Old 01-16-05, 11:23 AM
Wink

Now for the solution: We replaced our central air system with a hydronic (hot water) baseboard heating system. This summer we will install window units for air conditioning. We love the hydronic system -- no more dust! The only dust we have now is what gets tracked in from the outside -- not the constant blizzard of dust and dust mites which was coming from the ductwork. We will now need to dust about once every two months instead of every other day -- and no more sneezing.
You have a long way to go here and learn for sure. It dont work the way you say. The dirt or dust that is on the air filter in a home is still there with hot water heat. I have gone on no heat calls with hot water baseboard the boiler worked fine,no heat in the home. All this dust and dirt you say you dont have now gets in under the fins on the baseboard and dont let the air in and over them to heat the home. Also look some time in large building that have hot waater or steam R/D for heat. Up the wall in back of them will be like a dirt on the wall there. The EAC filter work very good. But people dont take and wash them like they should. So that lets dirt get into the home.
For a clean home use a Air bear filter the go up to 5" . There also are filter spray coats there that you can add to the intake side of the filter. On the 1" filter use a good pleated filter with a MERV 5 for it. put new one in every 30 to 90 days and you will have a clean home.

no more dust! The only dust we have now is what gets tracked in from the outside -- not the constant blizzard of dust and dust mites which was coming from the ductwork. We will now need to dust about once every two months instead of every other day -- and no more sneezing
"You have a lot to learn about heating" its still there.Why the AC works so well is they have filters but the air goes over a wet coil and this get the dirt on it. Then not long you have to have the coil cleaned out or it dont work right.

my .02 cents
ED

Old 01-28-05, 02:49 PM
whitespider
Visiting Guest
You MUST leave the house, ASAP

I don't know for sure but it sounds like you probably have fiberglas insulation leaking into the ductwork because of a poor installation. The ductwork is leaky and the fiberglas is being sucked in. There are numerous stories on the web from people who have suffered from this. You are doing your family an extreme disservice by staying in the house. Get out and then figure out what's wrong.

Old 04-26-05, 03:10 AM
Nugents
Visiting Guest
Exclamation same problem

I have a very severe problem with dust too. We bought this 1984 manufactured home 3 years ago. It was used as a vacation home.
Dust is everywhere, very heavy dust. Gets in bookcases, drawers, cabinets, just all over. Thought it was coming from furnace and air conditioner. Even with these units off, the dust just returns. I have ceiling fans. The dust is really heavy there. So I clean them, turn back on and theres the dust.
I was told since its a manufactured home it could be the insulation in crawl space. Probably old and releasing these spores. Has anyone found an answer or who to call?
Thank you.

Old 04-26-05, 03:27 AM
T
Sealing air leaks can help to reduce air infiltration that could be a source of dust. Sealing duct air leaks, especially the return duct, can help prevent dust from being circulated throughout your house. Living in a high-traffic area or industrial area, by a railroad track, etc. tends to make it more challenging to keep the home dust free. Thus, it is important to seal up the air leaks.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...provement_dust

Old 04-26-05, 07:09 AM
Wink

Nugents its a manufactured home
On some of them they used a tile like and that softboard for the walls and ceiling. Could the dust come from them?

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: