Central Air filter housing

Old 01-27-05, 06:31 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Central Air filter housing

I have a ceiling mounted filter for my central air system. The filter is a metal lifetime electrostatic type. I have never tried a standard throwaway filter.

Problem is that the recess for the filter is at least 2" deep with the grate closed and the filter is resting on the grate. I put in some weather stripping in the filter seat area but it still floats in the recess. The filter gets sucked up when the fan turns on. Is this happening because the lifetime filter is heavier?

Thanks

Old 01-27-05, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
YEs, the electrstic filters are heavier in a way.. Put some cardboard in to wedge the filter in place so it's not going up and down on you.

Throw away the eletrostic filter, they don't work well over time, and really cuts down on the air flow as well.

Old 01-29-05, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Me to::::: Dont use that kind of filter for sure get a good plated one. You say the filter frame is made for a 2" filter. So like we used to do all the time. Get two filters now and put them in Dont go over a MERV 5 on them. Now when comes time to change them just throw the out side one away. Put the new filter in first then that older on top of it so air goes in it first. This work very good.

ED

Old 01-29-05, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is the filter size?
What is the air conditioner size?
You need to have at least bare minimum 200 sq. in. per ton
Mind you that is minimum.
So if you have a 2 ton A/C or 24k BTU than a 20X20 filter is the minimum size to go with.
The minimum size has always also told me minimum grade.
Better grade filters need to be larger than minimum size.
For a merv 5 or lower add 20% to the size
Than that 20x20 becomes a 20x25.
If this is not done then you will not get the correct amount of air through for tha A/C to run and then you could have compressor failures.

Old 01-31-05, 05:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
If possibe, I suggest the 4-5" thick pleated filters. Due to the large surface area, they can provide very good filtration with low air restriction.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: